How to use the Banana (DIY Trussrod fret leveling tool)

Hey guys

I came across this the other day (via the metalguitarist forum)

i skipped the video on a bit because of waffle

Looks like a cool way to tune your fret leveling to your desired action,Ive seen other (expensive) tools that use this same principle
but has anyone use the above vs the trad level everything method & If so how have you found it?

I'll be giving the above method a try in a week or so on the supertele im building atm but feedback in the meantime is welcomed.

Cheers
Gizmo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    That's Sam from Reloved Guitars. (On Facebook too)

i haven't fully tried that that method yet, I can't convince myself I can match the curvature, it seems to need such microscopic adjustments. I bottled out, flattened the neck and used a levelling beam last time I tried.

Since it is effectively a closed loop feedback method measuring fret buzz rather than flatness, it should result in the absolute minimum of metal removal to achieve the result. (Assuming the neck curvature is matched exactly)

Be interesting to see how you get on.
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Im going to give this a go as a complete fretwork noob since I have a few old low budget axes that need love.  Whats the worst that can happen :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I used on of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-FRET-REFINISHING-COMBO-KIT-Fret-Leveling-Dressing-Crowning-Polishing-/112170072301?hash=item1a1ddb78ed:m:mQnuOc2buGYJxFnMxE10BIw

on my Harley Benton S type guitar. It worked fine for dealing with a few high frets. The longest part of the process was masking off the fretboard. I'm not sure I'd want to risk it on a more expensive instrument though. In that case I'd rather take the guitar to a luthier and get it done properly.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Looks to do basically the same job, however i got maybe 3 or 4 high end guitars that I'd need to get fretwork done on and thats going to add up fast especially if any need a refret so I figure time to learn a new skill and this method seems to work well.  If it all goes downhill I can always bring my sacrificial epiphone les paul with me to the show next weekend,  get some advice and grab some tools at the same time if need be.