EB Cobalt flatwounds. Flats for people who like rounds.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23908
As an experiment I bought some of the new Cobalt Flats. They are advertised as a Flatwound with the sound of a roundwound.

i think they are right.

They sound like a bedded in nickel rounds but have the benefit of very little finger noise. The tension is a little higher than the equivalent rounds but I wanted that on my ray5 anyway.

They are fecking expensive in the U.K., but I managed to get a set from the US and even with VAT and the admin fee got them for £15 cheaper than here.

I'm impressed so far. If they last like flats can do (TI flats can last 5 years) then I will be very pleased.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879
    edited October 2016
    How do they compare to the GHS Pressurewounds?

I know you're a fan of those too,  I love them myself.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23908
    A little brighter than the GHS.

I really like pressurewounds, but the low B they make is fecking awful. There is only 1 gauge available so on my 5 string basses I've stopped using them.

I don't know if it is a gauge problem, tension or even maybe that the construction just doesn't work for a low B
  • who from in the US Fret?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @bigdawg  it was www.bassstringsonline.com

• thank you

• I've been sort of wondering about these seeing as I have one bass and wish I had one for each string type. Do we thing with the right technique and EQ you could get both a convincing flat and round tone from them? 
    I habe LaBElla flats on my Ric at the minute and I love them for 99% of what I do but I struggle to enjoy them for anything with heavy picking or overdrive 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I've been sort of wondering about these seeing as I have one bass and wish I had one for each string type. Do we thing with the right technique and EQ you could get both a convincing flat and round tone from them? 
    I habe LaBElla flats on my Ric at the minute and I love them for 99% of what I do but I struggle to enjoy them for anything with heavy picking or overdrive 
    I didn't think the labella low tensions I tried did well with picking at all. I find Chromes do a better job, and you get a bit more clank with them.
    I've been sort of wondering about these seeing as I have one bass and wish I had one for each string type. Do we thing with the right technique and EQ you could get both a convincing flat and round tone from them? 
    Yes.