Mark Knopfler albums

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
edited October 2016 in Music
I already own 'Sailing to Philadelphia' and 'Roadrunning'. What else would you good folk in FB land recommend? Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @richardhomer is a big fan and could probably recommend you something.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    @richardhomer is a big fan and could probably recommend you something.  
    Tracker which came out last year is really good. Quite folky/bluesy like much of his solo stuff but some classic MK 'character' songs. The guitar playing is - if anything - even more underplayed that on his recent work.

Basil and River Town are stand out tracks for me. Probably the most consistent album of his solo career.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited October 2016
    Missing Presumed Having a Good Time - Notting Hillbillies

Shangri La - for more Dire Straits stuff

Privateering - as a double album it gives a wider breadth of more recent MK.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Shangri-La is good too.

I also have Screenplaying, which is a compilation of some of his film-score work - worth getting if you don't have the individual albums.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    @richardhomer is a big fan and could probably recommend you something.  
    Tracker which came out last year is really good. Quite folky/bluesy like much of his solo stuff but some classic MK 'character' songs. The guitar playing is - if anything - even more underplayed that on his recent work.

Basil and River Town are stand out tracks for me. Probably the most consistent album of his solo career.
    I agree with Richard on this. I'm a big Mark Knopfler fan and have all of his albums but they do tend to be a bit patchy, with only a couple of great songs on each. Tracker, though, is strong all the way through.

The Shangri-La album is also very good, although my favourite Knopfler song is Hill Farmer's Blues from The Ragpicker's Dream. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Tracker ordered (... and Privateering on my Amazon wish list). Thanks all.
  • Does "Neck and Neck" with Chet Atkins count? Lots of tasty guitar playing on that one. Production is a little dated and sounds rather tame, but you can't knock the playing.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited October 2016
    Does "Neck and Neck" with Chet Atkins count? Lots of tasty guitar playing on that one. Production is a little dated and sounds rather tame, but you can't knock the playing.
    I think it counts. Just wary of anything my mum's got a copy of. Not being sarcastic - she really does have a copy.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Cal. MK did the music arrangement on the film IIRC, he played some tracks too. And he played guitar on the song The Kings Call with Phil Lynott. Also he played guitar and produced the album Miracle by Willy DeVille.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Cal. MK did the music arrangement on the film IIRC, he played some tracks too. And he played guitar on the song The Kings Call with Phil Lynott. Also he played guitar and produced the album Miracle by Willy DeVille.
    Not forgetting he played pretty much all the guitars on Dylan's 'Slow Train Coming'.

His playing on that album is sublime. Highly recommended.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Not a fan of Dylan but if I come across 'Slow Train Coming' in a (charity) shop, I will definitely buy it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Not a fan of Dylan but if I come across 'Slow Train Coming' in a (charity) shop, I will definitely buy it.
    You don't have to be really - it's a very accessible album - it's about £6 on Amazon. Worth it just to hear how Knopfler fits in with someone else's songs - masterful guitar playing.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Not forgetting he played pretty much all the guitars on Dylan's 'Slow Train Coming'.

His playing on that album is sublime. Highly recommended.
    And Infidels - which is a superb Bob Dylan album.
    Very accessible.
    He produced it too.
    It had Sly & Robbie on there also.
    Highly recommended.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited October 2016
    I'm surprised nobody has volunteered "On every street" which is outstanding and I also agree with the nominations for "Shangri-la". Biggest disappointment goes to "Golden Heart", I really don't get that album at all. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    dilbert said:
    I'm surprised nobody has volunteered "On every street" which is outstanding 
    Technically it's a Dire Straits album… although you can be forgiven for not realising, since it does sound more like a MK solo album :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein