First Wenge build

What's Hot
I picked up this project on eBay form Kemp guitars. First two pictures are my starting point. The body is Wenge, which was interesting to work with (i.e. two broken screws and one broken drill).

I'm very pleased with the end result, I finished it with Tru Oil.

Pickups are Oil City Blue Streak which sound very good, especially the neck pickup which has a great tone for blues.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    did you get many splinters... they tend to be massive and swell up quite quickly.   You may have avoided  most of it if the shaping was most of the way there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    did you get many splinters... they tend to be massive and swell up quite quickly.   You may have avoided  most of it if the shaping was most of the way there.
    I'd heard about the danger of Wenge so I wore gloves when doing the final shaping and avoided splinters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    What's it weigh?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    What's it weigh?
    4 kg, which feels light to me as I've recently been playing a mahogany strat with a korina top that weighs 4.6 kg!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    4kg ain't bad at all
  • One of the first Kemp Guitars' prototypes, nicely carved and finished there, John =) Not a bad weight on that, just as well I started thicknessing bodies down to 38mm.
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
  • Very nice,I like the headstock shape. 
    How does the wings compare acoustically to other wood types? 
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• Very nice,I like the headstock shape. 
    How does the wings compare acoustically to other wood types? 
    I'm guessing that "wings" was your spellchecker's reworking of Wenge :-)

I've just strummed half a dozen different guitars acoustically, and I struggle to tell the difference between them. Strats are perhaps a little brighter than a Les Paul, and the Wenge slightly darker. But I'm sure if I did a blind test I couldn't tell the difference - although that may say more about my ears than anything else.