So, in a cover band situation, how do you deal with ...

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
other band members making continual song suggestions for the set list that you think are inferior quality ranging to downright shite?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Over the years I tended to think a bit of give and take from all was fairest, unless it is a song that you really despise.

Thing is the focus of songs for me is more for the folks you are playing to, so unless there are too many teeth gritting songs in the set then compromise.

On particularly contentious songs maybe try a different arrangement or take it it a different genre. As long as it doesn't end up sounding like ass of course.

Never easy though if people get hung up on getting their favouritist songs in the set.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    The same as if you have multiple writers in an 'originals' where some people produce what you consider to be substandard material; either go with it out of a sense of fairness and togetherness or fall out spectacularly. Ultimately a audience's reaction to your set is probably a better indicator as to which songs should stay or go. If you like being in the band, I would walk away from the argument if it were me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

We're not gigging yet ... we are still building up a set list from scratch with a view to gigging in a few months (depending on recruiting a new keyboard player and 2nd vocalist, so fingers crossed on that time line).

We have a rota of 20+ songs that we have learned and played through ... some much more than others.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    In a covers band I wouldn't expect to like more than 50% of the set list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that it's one of those things where you have to do what's right for the band.  I've even sat out of tracks before as the other guitarist and I felt that it sounded untidy with two guitars.

I'd rather the band sound great, and engage with the audience, doing what ever we're doing than I got my way all the time.

I loves m'rock 'n' metal; however, I'm not adverse to a bit of Chic if it gets the crowd going.  That's how I enjoy myself.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    In a covers band I wouldn't expect to like more than 50% of the set list.
    This.

In Spades.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    close2u;9001" said:
    other band members making continual song suggestions for the set list that you think are inferior quality ranging to downright shite?
    if its the drummer you are allowed to ignore them.

I don't mind song choices but I like them to have some idea how we will do it, or at least don't expect one guitar to sound like 3 guitars and a horn section.

Ideally with a covers band you have some kind of parameters of what the band covers. So, party hits of the 80's covers band. If that sounds like your kind of thing then most song choices will be fine. If its just any song from history then, well, then you might not like any of them I suppose. Or be able to sell yourself to venues mebbe.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

I generally don't play anything I don't like, there's so many good songs you can cover that playing crap stuff seems avoidable. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    We tend to try all suggestions, gig them out. If the punters don't respond, we drop the song and move on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Singers will always try and dictate shyte songs with no groove or decent riffs or guitar parts. Bass players will insist that you play chordy numbers or if you are lucky funky things so that they can take it easy or get a platform to express themselves, lead inclined guitar players will always try and stretch the technical boundaries so you end up playing non sensical stuff that bypasses the audience completely, sounds thin and barely holds together and drummers usually don't get a say in anything.

As a band you should stick to the numbers that sound tightest and really rock, everyone can pull off fluently with their eyes closed and that the audience will enjoy and build upon that.  There is no point over stretching yourselves in any one direction if it translates badly to the audience.  Try everything, see what works and what doesn't, then develop a theme from that.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
    And why is it  that  the punters always love the songs that you hate the most. I'd rather pull my teeth without anaesthetic than  have to play 'Things Can Only Get Better' ever again... but the punters always were up for that 'song'    :-S   D.Ream.. I'd quite happily drown  the lot of them..  
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

We came together under the banner of doing soul / r&b / motown.

Most of us had not played in such bands before.

The songs go back to 60s Motown, through 70s Chic to 00s Noisettes (with slight diversions to Doobie Brothers, Gnarls Barkley etc).

It's the quality of the suggestions that concerns ...

• @Close2u, name and shame these tracks of your tears.
    edited January 2014
    @Close2u, name and shame these tracks of your tears.

Edited ...

Maroon 5 - Move Like Jagger.

(auto-tune pop dross)

Sam Sparrow - Gold & Black

(ffs)

Beverley Knight - Mama Used To Say / Southern Freez

(soul diva singing poor covers)

Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything

(yawn)

Go West - We Close Our Eyes / Call Me / King Of Wishful Thinking

(three by the same band - dross 80s synth pop!!)

Hall & Oates - Private Eyes / Kiss On My List / Maneater / Out Of Touch / I Can't Go For That Family Man etc

(six suggestions from the same band means it's awkward to say No, No, No, No, No, No ... big-selling, maybe popular, but really just 80s bland soul-pop )

Love Affair - Everlasting Love ... sing-a-longa cheesy soul

Mica Paris - One Temptation ... maybe a smooth, classy number but bland 80s stuff imho

• Just be thankful that you don't have to play Sex On Fire.....!

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2014
    M5 -MLJ learnt that one. 

Sam Sparrow, it doesn't bother me.

Bev and Mica, I don't know.

Climie - Really?!

Go West - I'd do it, but I wouldn't be happy about it

Hall & Oates - I don't mind.  In fact, during Maneater, I'd be tempted to sing:
     Ooo here she comes, watch out boy she'll eat you off,
     ooo here she comes, she's a beefeater.

Love affair - Doesn't bother me.

Mica, again.  you don't like her, do you? :D

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

If you're wanting to play for an audience's benefit, they are the final arbiter. Your band members who have the most gigging experience *should* have a feel for what will go down well. Obscurity is the enemy!

Bands should be a team; debate it, put your opinions forward and then you'll have to reach a consensus. Unless you're a pro of course and you're being paid to play what you're told.

If the consensus offends you, vote with your feet. Otherwise, shut up and do your bit for the team, as long as that goes both ways with the rest of the band.

Communication is the key and it's rarely easy. :)

I'm not sure there are many sure fire audience hits. The sex on fire/ mustang sallies will just die with some audiences, they couldn't be more bored. On the other hand covering nothing but obscure fans only stuff can go down badly too. Something with a groove and dynamics. How many covers bands do every song as intro and then everyone piles in until the end? Everything starts sounding the same. How you play it is so important. And to that end you can find your happy guitar space in any old bollocks. Of course, if the band insists on it being note for note ( why? Your audience won't care) and you have to listen to moves like jagger 50 times... :(
    Sorr;, to be more positive - playing a song can be much more enjoyable than listening to it. Feck, I've played Special Brew. Its bollocks. However, enormous fun with 3 chords to play and ripe for jigging about the stage as you hang onto that G chord.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2014
    I think the point to remember is that being in a cover band is not for everyone.  Some people may be better off in a tribute or originals band.