Composition Challenge #16 - Flavours of the World!

What's Hot
Hello Beautiful People of Earth!!!! Time for round 16 of the Fretboard Challenge competition!

The competition:

Every 3 months there will be a competition, it revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular competition.

For full rules please read here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8029/fretboard-challenge-rules#latest

Submission Details

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge SoundCloud page here - https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard

Songs must be submitted in an MP3 format and you need to provide a picture for your track

FRETBOARD CHALLENGE #16

Fretboard Challenge #16 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 15th February 2017

Voting starts 17th February 2017 - Voting ends 11.30pm 28th February 2017

A new voting system will be in place for this challenge, voters can pick their top 3 favorite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Winner will be announced just before midnight 28th February 2017

Guidelines 

Flavours of the World

------------------------------------

Given the turbulent state of current world affairs it seems like a positive task to embrace all the  different types of music and cultures that the world has to offer and use them to create some amazing random music :-)

Feel free to mix any styles. No Time limit

Deadline

Midnight (UK time) 15th February 2017.

Prizes

The prize for this competition will be a brand new 

TC ELECTRONICS RUSTY FUZZ PEDAL

http://cdns3.gear4music.com/media/21/219893/1200/preview.jpg
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I had an inkling that you might do something EU-related ... a future task might be to write something for the Eurovision song contest ...

This is a good task .. I already have a barking mad idea ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 'Flavours of the World'?  I'm going for Tutti Frutti. :)
  • Oooh I like this one, feel like I should be able to do something here. I might just do a cover of Dario G's Carnival de Paris though so it could go either way. Nice theme
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oooh I like this one, feel like I should be able to do something here. I might just do a cover of Dario G's Carnival de Paris though so it could go either way. Nice theme

That would be seriously impressive ... :-)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    I have no idea whatsoever what to do with this!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • lets get some chat peeps

Old Is Gold
    I know what I'm doing .. there are bongos ... there may even be cow bells.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited January 2017
    Still at the early planning stage writing down a list of ideas to try, which will probably go out the window once I start recording actual audio and hopefully things will take on a life of their own.
    It's not a competition.
  • I'm procrastinating terribly and not feeling very creative in recent months. I forced myself to sit down at the 'poota and start on a track (unrelated to this challenge) just before christmas. I got a good basis for a tune together but haven't worked on it since. Maybe I can use it as a basis for this challenge? Hmmmm? I had an idea to mash up some various ethnic percussion loops I've had for years but I'm not sure how I could incorporate that idea into the other track.

Sometimes these more 'open ended' challenges are the most difficult. Just give me some chords and a time signature and I'd be able to bolt something together. Inspiration can be an elusive quarry.
  • I got a good basis for a tune together but haven't worked on it since. Maybe I can use it as a basis for this challenge? Hmmmm? I had an idea to mash up some various ethnic percussion loops I've had for years but I'm not sure how I could incorporate that idea into the other track.

Several of my songs began this way, I thought I was working two different songs and at some point both of the ideas end up being one song.  I might have to pull out the nylon string again for this one.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Tricky one this...
    Still experimenting though...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I really ought to enter these. Always seems to pass me by. Not long left. Will try!
  • I sent in an entry last night. Hope it came through. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Right, I will try to get something in on time.
  • I put some bass parts down today. Still don't know quite where my one's heading.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Struggling, both for time and inspiration.

Everything I've tried sounds either cliched, forced or just dull.

oh well , it'll come or it won't, looking forward to hearing what everyone else comes up with.

• I did a bit more work on mine today. It's hard work but I think I'm starting to feel a bit of love towards this misshaped mongrel. I think I might even have just thought of a title for it!

Loads of work to do to get it in some sort of shape, as well as a fair bit more recording - but I have at least an idea of what it might grow up into. :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ^^^ Snap!  As it happens I've just come in with a cup of tea from doing something similar.
    Mine is nearly finished ... it's totally bonkers and I expect nil points .... where did I put my fez?

• I put some acoustic guitar down and did a bit more tweaking last night. Considering this track's 'difficult birth', it's actually starting to shape up into something. I'm not sure what, exactly, but something.

And I've still got nearly two weeks to finish it! I think I might just make it.