Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Retiring next year

What's Hot

Comments

• After last gig I will probably sell most of my gear and get a dobro for slide, and possibly do the occasional jam session. So Slide is still an option, just not good enough to play all night at it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924

good luck Kone all the best

John

tae be or not tae be
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Sorry to hear that taff. Are you going to step up the radio stuff when the gigging finally ends?
  • llew said:
    Sorry to hear that taff. Are you going to step up the radio stuff when the gigging finally ends?
    Probably, would like to do a rock and roll show. Who knows what may be round the corner. 
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Best of luck mate
  • Cheers for all the nice comments etc, this isnt a sympathy post, as I have had a bloody good time over the years and certainly put food on the table at home at times. 
    But a word of caution to anyone starting to struggle, plan ahead to when you have to finish, and also although my hands are getting bad, I had new necks made for me which extended my playing life by at least 10 years. Strange how a change in neck could help so much, so try things and experiment.
     I am very lucky that I have a radio show to keep me involved with music and will obviously take the place of my amp and guitars, just as well I'm retiring as GAS was starting to build up! 
  • taff 

the Somerset/Dorset music scene will be poorer without your 1 blues solo and 1 country solo mate 

let's catch up soon
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • taff 

the Somerset/Dorset music scene will be poorer without your 1 blues solo and 1 country solo mate 

let's catch up soon
    Same solo when my OD pedal don't work! 
  • All this talk of retiring I forgot I still have a few gigs before August finish. And realised I haven't touched my guitar since New Year's Eve gig. Been so busy I forgot about it. Have a gig beginning of Feb so will pick it up soon, such a strange feeling, almost feel like I've retired already? 
  • All this talk of retiring I forgot I still have a few gigs before August finish. And realised I haven't touched my guitar since New Year's Eve gig. Been so busy I forgot about it. Have a gig beginning of Feb so will pick it up soon, such a strange feeling, almost feel like I've retired already? 
    I was about to say I've not touched a guitar for over a week, then realised I did a 3 hour duo gig yesterday
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited January 2017
    taff 

let's catch up soon
    No it won't :-)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Well the time is almost upon me, I have a private function middle of August, which is last official gig with the band. But I am gonna organise a retirement bash so I can go out on a high, but with band members away on holidays and busy etc it looks like it's gonna be late September for the bash. 
    Last weekend I did a gig at one of our regular venues, and at end of night, strangers and locals who have never really spoken to band were coming up and thanking me for all the years I had entertained them. It was quite humbling and brought it home to me what I am doing and how much if my life I have devoted to playing. 
    Its strangley reinforced my decision to retire, due to how important music has been to me and that's why I don't want to carry on half heartedly and playing worse and worse over coming years. 
    I do find it quite odd how I have accepted this so well, better than most of my friends and family to be honest.  
    Will update after last gig, will there be tears? 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343

Will update after last gig, will there be tears? 
    You know there will be.
     :'( 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Hope it goes well - if I were nearer I'd come along.

There's a drummer friend of mine who's recently started gigging again in his mid-60s - it seems to have given him a massive lift - he seems young again. Stories of not getting out of venues until 1.00am and then driving home don't fill
    me with any great desire to do the same, I'm must admit.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Having the whole thing arranged in advance and coming to terms with it seems like a massive hurdle overcome to me. I hope you continue to enjoy music without feeling compromised and after retirement you will have the next chapter of your life.
    I'm contemplating my (distant) retirement from the day job but have as yet not fully contemplated not playing in public (although the public may have a different view). Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy retirement.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you both, it's a mixture of relief and trepidation to be honest. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

I do find it quite odd how I have accepted this so well, better than most of my friends and family to be honest.  

Is that because they will see more of you?

Regardless, I hope it goes well.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Cheeky, but probably some merit in that! 
  • Penultimate gig tonight for the band, the last official gig
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Penultimate gig tonight for the band, the last official gig
    Hope it goes brilliantly Taff.