Modern tele relic hotrod .... and loads of other things to disturb the purists

What's Hot
Like @Bridgehouse i picked up one of Graham's black friday tele's and will also be painting it blue   I have been looking for a tele to relic for a while so this seemed like as good an idea as any

except its already quite non traditional with a separate fretboard, 22 frets and abalone dots.  but that's no issue to me, I have no problems making an non-authentic modern tele with a relic finish.  i did consider modding the neck to be moree vintage for a second or two, but that's a ridiculous idea so I am going for the non-purist relic hotrod thing

something  like this, but aged a fair bit

It will be an aged pelham blue, as that has been ordered. it will have something unusal going on with the neck and middle pickups, but that is still undecided

I have already modded the body for this - its now got full strat contours and a swimming pool route to allow me to do whatever i decide with the pickups later

you will have to excuse the sight router burn, time to throw that bit away

I may do a freezer relic on this
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Loving it - can't wait to compare blue relics at the end ;) 

I currently have a metric tonne of hardware in an acid vapour bath!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    i did one grainfill on the ash, really it needs two, but i like the sunken grain look so one grainfill was the compromise i made with myself.   then i got paint on, and that's about where we are now.  It will get at least 2 weeks before flatting and buffing, and another 2 weeks before freezer relicing

really happy with the colour, but realistically it was a bit cold for spraying this weekend so it has left a lot of orange peel to flat out when i come to the next stage.  

hardware is just stuff that was lying around, but i may yet go for a wide range

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Looking great so far! The sunken grain should work well with the relicing :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    It would be nice if a chap with you skills shared the process of relicing for luddites like me!.....

Nice work so far....I find that warming the rattlecan in warm water helps to avoid orange peel in cooler weather
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Oo just noticed the faux fading too, nice work! Did you mask with tape or the actual parts?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    It would be nice if a chap with you skills shared the process of relicing for luddites like me!.....

Nice work so far....I find that warming the rattlecan in warm water helps to avoid orange peel in cooler weather
    I share quite a bit, for one thing I am willing to show in progress shots that look terrible if they are part of the process.... I did this on my pancake les paul relic and the recent junior.  And there are flaws here which I know will eventually look good.  It's why I mention the grainfill, at the moment the sunken bits look like a flaw, but I know what's going to happen there.

the fade was done with parts in place.... they still have paint on them, the guard was pure white.  It's just a coat of light tint, didn't want to go too green.
    Oh, and the paint tins were room temp but the body was colder by the time I was spraying the clear.  
    I like it when paint sinks into the grain.....
    I wan't criticising your input BTW, I would just like to know how relicing is done, my feeble attempts look like Ive started rubbing down for a refinish.....

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looking great!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• On a related topic - how did you do the mock-up at the start of the thread? 
    edited December 2016
    If you google virtual guitar builder you will find a few sites that let you do mock ups.

like this classic one that has been around for years

http://www.ysw-tct.com/tct/default.asp?func=KIJI&kiji=20141229114253.asp  ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    If you google virtual guitar builder you will find a few sites that let you do mock ups.

like this classic one that has been around for years

http://www.ysw-tct.com/tct/default.asp?func=KIJI&kiji=20141229114253.asp  ;
    Thanks, I hadn't seen one with Telecaster options before. Will have some fun with that...
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Oh this I like :)  Where did you get the kit from?  I would love a natural ash Tele and would like to build myself :)
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    It came from GSP. 
    WezV said:
    It came from GSP. 
    Don't suppose you've got a website address at all please Wez?  Google is throwing up zipadidoodah :(
    you won't find a website, just his contributions here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/849/GSPBASSES
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Muchas gracias @WezV  :)
    a bit of relicing - still just with hardware i have lying around, although it may get this bridge and i am leaning towards a wide range in the neck 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Damn that's cool
    Stop crying, start buying
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Looks really nice Wez.  I like the fade effect too.