Modern tele relic hotrod .... and loads of other things to disturb the purists

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    How you relicing your hardware? Good old vinegar or something stronger?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    nothing yet - these are all parts i have had on other guitars for the last 5 years.  I got a new 5-hole plate i need to relic.

Generally i do actual physical wear and use circuit board etchant, but that is more successful on nickel.   I just picked up an aged neckplate of ebay.  In my experience chrome ages a lot less than most relic examples you see.  You get surface scratches and pitting, but very little actual discolouration

you can see my usual methods for nickel over here:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/55672/build-thread-pancake-body-les-paul-deluxe/p8

but i am trying new things on this one
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    WezV said:
    nothing yet - these are all parts i have had on other guitars for the last 5 years.  I got a new 5-hole plate i need to relic.

Generally i do actual physical wear and use circuit board etchant, but that is more successful on nickel.   I just picked up an aged neckplate of ebay.  In my experience chrome ages a lot less than most relic examples you see.  You get surface scratches and pitting, but very little actual discolouration

you can see my usual methods for nickel over here:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/55672/build-thread-pancake-body-les-paul-deluxe/p8

but i am trying new things on this one
    I found the mix-it-up-in-a-bag-with-other-metal-bits really successful for chrome. Followed by vinegar and then some light rubbing. Pitting is difficult to get right but I was reasonably pleased with the results.
    edited January 2017
    I have done decent looking pitting before by manually making dents first, the only struggle is making it look random
    just got this out the freezer and gave it a  blast with a hairdryer for a few minutes

and nothing:

but hold on, whats that you see with a flash?

so yeah, its getting there
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    How much clearcoat did you put on? It needs to be fairly thick to crack. This films are just too flexible.
    i did keep it relatively thin as i wanted some grain sinkage, which is happening too.    Still only a month since painted so its all early days yet but going in the right direction

It's more visible this morning.  Which is just as likely to be poor lighting and bad eyesight as it is an actual change in the lacquer ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    @wezV , I like the amount of forearm wear youve done on this. Not over the top and shows the white undercoat..any tips on getting that? just feather in with different grades of wet and dry? Did you then do the vinegar and wire wool thing to "grey" the exposed wood?  Looking nice! cheers. Will

thanks.  There is no real trick to it just stay away from the belt sander or anything too aggressive. 

I think I used an orbital sander with 400 g to go more fo the way, then increased to 800 and 1200g to finish.

You can see on the contour where the blue is obviously very thin and quite patchy next to the worn through bits, a little more sanding and that would all be white - so just pay close attention to what's happening as you go

I think I like this plate more

The guard cost £3.68 from china and its actually pretty good.  I picked it up as I wanted to try there self adhersive acoustic guard material.   Its proper 4-ply with  see through "celluloid" style top layer rather than printed, and whilst the patterns are a bit vague they are on a par with other modern celluloid reproductions.  Okay, its not a Spitfire guard, but its alright

The neck pickup is ordered too,  So i will be modding the guard once it gets here.   and i need to get some pics of the checking as its looking rather nice now
    a few more pics why we still have some  light... although the body actually needs a clean!  I have achieved sunken thin and checked at the same time

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Love that colour it looks great Wez
    time to do some more

first thing is do dull the plate a bit

then add some fake dirrt and clean it up a bit

checking

and back together
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Any plas to de-belt-sander the overarm bit (all other ageing bits are spectacular btw) ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It was an orbital sander ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Yeah well, same question ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback