Studio monitors - streaming music

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 982
edited December 2016 in Studio & Recording
I was thinking about getting some studio monitors (not sure what model yet) and using them sometimes for playing back streamed music (Spotify & Google Play Music) & CDs I have ripped to my laptop.

Anyone done this and had any success? Or did you find it sounded too clinical and not as enjoyable/fun?

Would be happy for you to throw some monitor names into the hat for models you would recommend for a home spare bedroom setup.

cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I listen through studio monitors all the time.
    Best way to listen IMHO.
    What is your budget?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    £500 max. 

I wanted to get something substantial in size as I always feel smaller speakers, do tend to sound a bit boxey, not a lot of headroom etc.

I was starting to look at the Yamaha HS range
  • I have a pair of Adam F5's for recording and for listening to u tube stuff,very nice sound indeed.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    You don't get much for £500- Yamaha HS are ok.
    I'd probably look at a used pair of Dynaudio BM6's or one of the larger Genelec's
  • Sounds like you'd prefer 6inch or larger, even good 5inch monitors sound relatively small IME.

I personally didn't find my old pair of Yamaha HS8s enjoyable for listening (good lows but the presence region on distorted guitars generally felt a little harsh to me), but the 7s seem a bit nicer balanced. 

I've not heard them in person but the Focal Alpha range may be worth a look. There are a few guys here using their monitors, though mostly CMS series or Solos (I've got a pair of Solos I use for everything). Drew (who posted here unde @Drew_TNBD ) uses the Alpha range and IIRC rates them as good. They're within budget.

Honestly though unless you're going to take room setup and treatment seriously then nothing will be especially accurate so go for whatever you find sounds pleasing. 

You'll probably be able to go into any decent sized music shop and hear a few options within budget and be able to pick something listenable. 
  • A guy I know who tracks classical has said that the B & W stuff is excellent for studio monitoring. Look for some quality used speakers.
    A guy I know who tracks classical has said that the B & W stuff is excellent for studio monitoring. Look for some quality used speakers.
    I have some 13 year old ones already 
    Cheers chaps will have a look at some suggestions, although I may just be better for now sticking with the B&W speakers I have, although to me they sound very coloured.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    edited December 2016
    B & W have a wide range, you could look at some higher spec new models or buy a set of used Dynaudios.

This seller is selling two singles on seperate listings

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262637328952&alt=web
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Another Focal Alpha 65 user here - use them for everything, streaming, mixing, gaming and watching telly. Totally love them, enhances my enjoyment rather than reducing it.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    I always listen to music through my KRKs.. they're not necessarily the most accurate speakers but my room only has high frequency treatment and it sounds good to me .. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The idea that studio monitors might be too clinical to enjoy music through them is an interesting one, I went along with it for quite a while.

I think it's just about what your ear is used to, though. If you grew up consuming music on low- to mid- range Hi-Fi speakers like many of a certain age, then you might train your ears to expect boomy bass, pinched mids and over-hyped, metallic sounding treble, and a general inability to hear into the mix. Similar in car stereos - seems like if they're shit they sound boxy, if they're "good" then all you'll hear is 40-100hz and 4-7kHz, and pay well for the privilege.

If you go from THAT to anything approaching flat monitors, you might well be distracted by what the music actually sounds like, when it's all presented flatly with no hyping or hiding of particular frequency ranges.

Once you get over that, there's no reason listening can't be as, if not more enjoyable because you can actually hear stuff - the differences between CDs, the subtle parts... the only downside is that you might get distracted by the sound if it's supposed to be secondary to something else like watching a video or playing a game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I tried monitors but could not get on with them. They were good one, made by PMC, the sound was probably 'right' but I found the sound very uninvolving. Perfect for listening deep into the mix, but ask yourself is that the sound you want or do you listen to music purely for enjoyment. I am deep in the latter camp....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I  fail to see the logical process that would make anyone believe that speakers that  are more accurate at rendering the recorded music are less desirable than ones that are less accurate. 
    However, it is consistent with the normal hifi voodoo  narrative, like preferring vinyl, etc. etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thing is there is still a difference in sound between monitors, so even though all are aiming for a single goal users will still have preferences.  Trying one pair of monitors doesn't prove anything.

Also, most monitors have EQ that can be tweaked...  For a while I ran the bass up a tiny bit on my monitors for two reasons - one because it discouraged me from dialing too much in to the mix, and two because it made other recorded music sound awesome.  Since adding some more room treatment I've gone back to flat again, but the EQs are there to be tweaked.  People get anxious about touching EQs on monitors but the simple fact is a typical room is not going to be flat anyway.
    I agree @ToneControl that it is strange that speakers that render the sound more accurately are less enjoyable to listen to than conventional hi-fi speakers. You call it voodoo, but to me, it shows that monitors are designed for recording/mixing engineers to hear everything on the recording. This spotlighting of detail can sound overwhelming if you only want to listen to music purely for enjoyment.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    I agree @ToneControl that it is strange that speakers that render the sound more accurately are less enjoyable to listen to than conventional hi-fi speakers. You call it voodoo, but to me, it shows that monitors are designed for recording/mixing engineers to hear everything on the recording. This spotlighting of detail can sound overwhelming if you only want to listen to music purely for enjoyment.
    The trouble is, that once you start down that path, then "hifi" is probably not even the right word. "nice-fi" maybe?
    e.g. Vinyl requires far more compression   in mastering, and  the stylus  causes quite a bit of even order harmonic distortion, is that good or bad?  Valve amps can add more
    I don't mind people preferring that, same as sepia photos or  the latest  photo filters, but paying top-dollar and  having  wars about which is the most hifi then seems  like comparing several arbitrary renderings of sound (much like guitar amps sound different, but not necessarily better than each other)

When I buy hifi/monitor amps and speakers, I am looking for something that sounds like the artist is performing in the room with me. Nothing less.  I find that large drivers and  huge headroom are essential, both of which are usually shunned by hifi  buffs.

Say lavvy

btw it is true that most punters don't want to hear a life-size rendering of a drum kit and a 100w amp in  their front room
    We agree on a lot of points @ToneControl. It is just that I never heard a pair of (studio) monitor speakers that I wanted to buy and listen to my music through. I understand the needs of sound engineers, their requirements are different to mine. Big drivers and valve amps are a great combination but you need a large room to get the benefits they offer. I have not got a room big enough so compromise is needed.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I used to run a pair of Tannoy Ardens  with 200w MOSFET into each
    that's 15 inch dual concentrics, used to be main studio monitors in the 70s. Stunning, and the  3d sound was nothing like normal 2 and 3 way drivers. They were massive, about 95dB efficiency I think

I also had a pair of Lancasters,  an older version of the same config, run from  an old Armstrong valve  amp 2xEL84 for each channel. Very warm and lovely but not hifi

I had a pair of  Dynaudio BM15s, powered from the  2 x 200w set up. They were good too

Now I use  Focal CMS65s with a massive powered subwoofer. I'd prefer 12 inch drivers, but they are so hard to find now