Chord Of The Week 10/12/16 - C5add#4 from "Well To The Bone" by Scott Henderson

Next on the list in my diary, of interesting chords I've noted in the course of 2016, is this fleeting C5add#4 arpeggio which occurs mid-line as part of a |E . . . |D . C . | riff in the heavy SRV-style shuffle blues song 'Well To The Bone' by Scott Henderson.

The song is a 16-bar blues, starting with 8 bars on the I chord of E, which is broken up by having this two-bar riff played three times for the first six bars of each verse. The bar of E at the beginning of the riff is a regular E chord played with offbeat shuffle upstrokes a la Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan, then the D for the first half of the bar is a Dadd4 arpeggio x540xx which I suspect he nicked from 'Run To You' by Bryan Adams (haven't done that as chord of the week yet, that's going on the list!) then the third beat of the bar is this week's chord C5add#4 played as a simple arpeggio low-to-high one note per triplet quaver - 

Cadd#4: x340xx

The phrase is rounded off by another triplet on the 4th beat consisting of a scalar run A G F# to lead back to the E. The A note is played on the 3rd string at the 2nd fret, this is pulled off to the open 3rd string for the G note, then that rings alongside the F# note which is played on the 4th string at the 4th fret.

You can hear the chord at 0:24 in this video

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments