Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the perfect guitar stool for the man cave?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
edited December 2016 in Guitar
I need a guitar stool for the man cave, which is currently undergoing a major clear out so that I can actually fit a stool in it (as well as the guitars, amps, desk, books, CDs etc...). I just wondered what stools other fretboarders use and what works best for you guys and gals.

I'm aware of the branded Fender/Gibson/Gretsch ones you can buy, but I think they're expensive for what they are, plus I'd like something with a back rest. A drum throne with a back rest looks like it could be the business but good ones are expensive. Then there's the low kitchen stool option.

So what do you guys use? All suggestions and pics gratefully received. Thanks.
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• An office chair, no arms fitted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    edited December 2016
    An office chair, no arms fitted.
    Yep, that's what I use in my studio, it's equally good for playing, lounging around listening or working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited December 2016
    I use a child's high(er) chair - not one for a baby, this is like a normal chair but slightly higher and with a smaller seat and back, so it doesn't get in the way - it's quite like a stool with a small back, really. It's also very stable because the legs are set wider like a normal chair.

You can often get this sort of thing from charity shops because people give them away when the child gets big enough for a normal chair.

I think mine is an older version of the Ikea 'Agam' chair. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6878
    p90fool said:
    Yep, that's what I use in my studio, it's equally good for playing, lounging around listening or working.
    Same here - got one from Staples that allows the arms to be rotated up out of the way for guitar duties, and into normal position for office desk use.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    I use a tattoo artist chair. very adjustable, wide seat, no arms - really comfortable to perch on for a long session...  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't buy one of the Fender ones, they're shit. The plastic cushion cover splits really fast around the edges making it pretty useless in short order. 

A drum throne is good as It is height adjustable.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    mrkb said:
    p90fool said:
    Same here - got one from Staples that allows the arms to be rotated up out of the way for guitar duties, and into normal position for office desk use.
    same here, one from costco
    watch out for chairs with a metal frame around the seat, they clunk  the edge of guitars, especially acoustics
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    A bar stool.
    It's up to you which bar you choose.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175

17reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    A la @Flanging_Fred I use a drum throne. 

Comfy, has a tiny footprint and if you need to store it, the legs fold away. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    A dining room chair, not a carver mind.  :)
  • No, no, no, a sofa!  Most are the perfect height, and you've got a nice soft safe place to set your guitar down when you need to get up to grab a beer.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    High backed chair generally. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    No, no, no, a sofa!  Most are the perfect height, and you've got a nice soft safe place to set your guitar down when you need to get up to grab a beer.
    No, no, no !! no The beer should be in a cool box immediately in front of you so that you don't HAVE to getup! Or you get your other half to bring the beer to you! cheers Is no one here professional anymore?! atoast D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    No, no, no, a sofa!  Most are the perfect height, and you've got a nice soft safe place to set your guitar down when you need to get up to grab a beer.
    Someone I know sold a Les Paul to a fellow who did that - left the guitar upright on the sofa. While he was up, it slid gently sideways and the headstock landed against the cushion at the end of the sofa… and broke.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Someone I know sold a Les Paul to a fellow who did that - left the guitar upright on the sofa. While he was up, it slid gently sideways and the headstock landed against the cushion at the end of the sofa… and broke.
    Well they were doing it wrong then, I use the size of the couch to lay the guitar securely on it.   A big part of the whole plan here....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Office chair with flip ip arms...Staples 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I think you can buy bags of Lion Dung in some garden centers - that
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Well they were doing it wrong then, I use the size of the couch to lay the guitar securely on it.   A big part of the whole plan here....
    In the corner so it can't slide and fall over is probably the best.

To be fair, this particular Les Paul had one of the most badly-chosen pieces of wood for the neck I've ever seen on a Gibson - the grain didn't follow the angle of the head as some do or even go straight on like most, it actually curved up the wrong way so the grain was almost at right angles to the headstock.

I had thought about buying it but I turned it down on the grounds that the headstock would probably fall off in a stiff breeze... and I wasn't far wrong. Not the sofa's fault really :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom