SOLO of the Month #22 - Voting (Open until 3rd January)

What's Hot
Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #22

Voting closes on the 3rd January at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-22-2016-12
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've been listening to these for a while, from when they were originally posted on the other thread.

Some of the best solos I've heard for the solo of the month challenges. Thanks to @Antique_Guitars for organising and @spark240 for an inspirational backing track.

I've going for:

5 points @Teetonetal : Dynamic, expressive. Something natural and personal about this.
    3 points @Rowby1 : Great ideas and tone. Is that a Tele and what was it played through?
    1 point @Stevepage : Great ideas and melodies again.

It would be good to know how you guys got your tones.

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    This is really tricky, I shall listen again later and do my vote.

its a pity there are not more collaborations on here, just shows what talents are out there .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Maybe we should do collaboration of the month, open it up to teams of people 
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    spark240 said:

its a pity there are not more collaborations on here, just shows what talents are out there .
    iirc the Composition Challenge is open to individuals or groups - although that isn't monthly and I don't think I've ever seen a group entry.

Anyway - votes:

5 points @modellista - the start of your solo captured my ears immediately, it sounds brilliant and the overall solo fits with and enhances the piece. Definitive.
    3 points @Teetonetal - a real "everything & the kitchen sink" of a solo, so much going on, several bits that made me laugh out loud they were so good. The way it splinters into harmonies in places is just wonderful.
    1 point @ChrisRG - loads going on in here again, but all fits nicely in. Like the interweaving parts and the way it builds up.

Although the top 2 stood out for me, choosing 3rd place was tough - the overall quality this month was excellent. There were several that could have got it. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited December 2016
    I'm seriously struggling to get a top 5 in my mind let alone a top 3 - every solo has something good going on,

These one are sticking in my mind after I finish listening through:

5 points: @Rowby1 I just really like some of the licks in here.. the lick at 1.33 is just so cool. 
    3 point: @modellista Really liking how the sounds interweave, the into tone is glorious and oozes vibe.
    1 point @Markv Is that a whammy being used? I love the delay and the long glissandos - lots going on and it ebbs and flows with the backing.

Seriously I feel bad for leaving all the others out - @LeeCassidy a really nice tone, some really nice playing and the volining intro is cool. @stratman3142 can't really fault this and the intro lick is really interesting, it sounds a bit synthy / glitchy in a good way what are you doing?

Very good stuff this month from everyone. 

@stratman3142 my tone is just helix Line 6 2204 Mod amp, with KWB model into Helix cab, split for stereo. Then I just used volume control with neck (v1) and neck/middle (v2) pickup on my HSS strat for the verses and HB for the chorus. Bit of reverb and delay, Very simple and all helix.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @Teetonetal it's a Pitchfork with an expression pedal so same thing basically. Thanks for the comments!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Wow, this going to be difficult to sort. Tough to choose a top 3!! Will have another listen through and try and sort my scoring later today.

@stratman3142 Indeed it is a Tele. It's into my MJW L6-40 through a JRAD Tim Pierce OD with a touch of delay and verb. 
  • @stratman3142 ...the intro lick is really interesting, it sounds a bit synthy / glitchy in a good way what are you doing?

They're just pulls-offs and hammer-ons up the neck on the 1st and 2nd strings that include the open E and open B. I nicked the idea from Jay Graydon's solo on Peg, where I believe he does pull-offs and hammer-ons up the neck that include an open G.
    It's not a competition.
  • Had about an hour going over these and it's not easy. Congrats to everyone, some wonderful ideas and fabulous technique going on.

5 Points - @Rowby1  That made me smile all the way through, little twists and turns, great passages that took me by surprise. Well done.

3 Points @stratman3142 wonderful flowing, flawless playing, reminded me of a bit of everything, might sound mad, but sort of like Mike Oldfield crossed with Steve Vai.

1 Point @ChrisRG very tasteful and peppered nicely with some juicy phrases.

There's not much between 1 point and 5 points, nor 0 points and 5 points, only what pleased my ears most.

Good work all round though.

@stratman3142

I use Guitar Rig 5 through Cubase, I've used it for everything I've done on here. On this solo it was a Wolfgang Guitar, I used the Fender "Twang Reverb" Amp and Cab model ;) with delay/reverb and a OD boost.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited December 2016
    Verrry tricky month this, as it seems for everyone, due to the high quality of entries.  Congratulations to all that entered, not a duffer between 'em.

5 points: @markv - now that's my kind of solo.  Tasteful, flowing, and a few bits of trickery. Some nice divebombs, and, um, upbombs.  My favourite attribute is that it's the closest in the field to replicating what a human voice might sing, which elevates the track into a true instrumental.  Bravo.

3 points: @Rowby1 - my personal style on the guitar seems to be lyrical and chordal, and perhaps that's why I like this one so much because it's exactly that.  A lovely combination of single-note solos and half-rhythmic double stops; the brief flourish of a few notes of minor pentatonic at the end is a masterstroke.  And the tone is exquisite throughout - do I hear a Tubescreamer?

1 point: @Teetonetal ; - a tour de force of harmony guitar worthy of Mr May himself.  It starts off all innocent but it doesn't stay that way, for this is the Olympics of finger athletics, of a million MPH tapping, intertwining modal runs and a whole chorus of glory.

The intro tone that got complimented is mainly an Ibanez Mini Chorus, with an Ibanez Mini Delay.  And of course the solo was enhanced by an Ibanez Mini Tubescreamer.  All of that into a Zoom MS-50G on the Fender amp setting, and a bit of spring reverb, and we're good to go.  Guitar was my recent purchase, the Ibanez CMM1 Chris Miller signature, a veritable bargain for it plays beautifully.  The intro is the coil split bridge, the middle part is the neck P90 and bridge, and the proper solo is the bridge humbucker.  All faffed around with in Cubase.  Seems I was having an Ibanez day.

I must say I've found this round really enjoyable with all the suspense of people entering and voting.  And it really helps keep the creative juices flowing, so thank you @Antique_Guitars for organising it.

Cheers.
  • @modellista ;

Thanks for the vote, but from the description you wrote, I think you meant to vote for @Teetonetal ;

I myself heard much Brian May in his solo ;) it was fantastic

I might be wrong, but I think you got our solos mixed up, Lol. Listen again if you need to check.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Spent an hour on this again last night and still can't quite make my mind up on how to score it! Will have another go tonight. Scoring is proving more time consuming and tricky than coming up with a solo  :)

@modellista thanks for the compliment on tone, very kind. No tubescreamer involved. It's the combination of the amp and OD both set to provide a bit of drive and the amps quite JTM45 ish in character I guess.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited December 2016
    Oops!

I listened to everything so many times ended up a bit confused whose was whose. Sorry for any confusion @Bellycaster! (Edited now for clarity)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2016
    Rowby1 said:
    @stratman3142 Indeed it is a Tele. It's into my MJW L6-40 through a JRAD Tim Pierce OD with a touch of delay and verb. 
    @Rowby1 : Sorry to keep asking questions but what's the specific Telecaster model and was it stock? I'm looking to buy a new Telecaster in the fairly near future and yours has 'that sound' I'm looking for. I'm currently thinking of an American Professional Butterscotch 2017 model, which seems to be a return the classic look and sound.

btw: for my Sotm entry I used my Les Paul Standard 2014 on the neck pickup through a tweaked version of the 'American Lead' preset in S Gear 2. 
    It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 No probs, this is a guitar forum after all ;)

It's a '97 US standard Tele. I bought it in 2004 completely unused (tags and labels still attached). It's Inca Silver which I don't think was a standard colour in '97 but, that aside, I believe it to be completely standard. It does do "that sound" as you say. It seems to sound more like a Tele than most Teles. I have had it along side a few CS and reissue types and mines "very Tele" even compared to those.
  • 5 Points - @Teetonetal   Dynamics, tone, great overall technique

3 Points - @Rowby1  Love the build up, nice playing altogether

1 Point -  @LeeCassidy ;  Great intro and tone, Randy Rhodes came to mind at some points

Honorable Mention to @markv especially, and all entries in actuality.  While most of these competitions have produced a lot of brilliant guitarwork, this month seems to have pushed it up a notch!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Decisions! Changed my mind that many times you wouldn't believe it.

@stratman3142  5 points. 

@Teetonetal  3 points.

@ChrisRG  1 point. 

It was very hard to narrow it down to a top 5 even, let alone a top three. So little to choose between them. I genuinely have spent longer listening and deliberating the marks than I did recording my entry. All round great work folks!

Big thank you to @Antique_Guitars for running this and @spark240 ; for such an inspirational backing track!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Ok Guys.....this so close for me, I think we need to have 1/2 points available !

I had no idea what to expect but its fair to say everyone has put in a full shift here, the ideas, sounds, and styles are excellent, hopefully we can all learn something from each other as well. 

Everyone deserves a point at least !...but rules are rules so my votes are-

5 Points - @markv  - I really like that sound, those weird rises are a total hook.
    3 Points  - @LeeCassidy ; - Technically great, I like the tone.
    1 Point - @Rowby1 - A really nice mix of ideas, and a couple very cool licks.

I could easily pick 3 different ones on the next listen, ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

5 points @Rowby1 ;
    3 points @LeeCassidy ;
    1 point @markv ;

Massive well done to all of you, some outstanding playing on this.