What's Hot
One of the best furkin guitarists ever discuss
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes. Ermmm
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    edited January 2014
    Beautiful playing. In a different league to most jazzers - lots of soul. SRV's use of octaves in things like Riviera Paradise came straight from WM
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited January 2014
    The BB King of jazz - he put the soul into jazz guitar playing with his warm tones, octaves, thumb picking, so in many ways "the greatest", and certainly instantly recognisable, but there are others (Al di Meola, John Mclaughlin, Holdsworth, etc), who are also "the greatest" in other aspects or jazz genres.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Never heard of him.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    One of ?  THE !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I like Wes. I think there are a lot of really good take homes from his playing:

Unique playing style - played with thumb because he didn't want to wake his kids - always played amplified though ;).
    Limited Musical Knowledge - Thought to have known about 80 chords but every application of them.
    Humility - "Really, welding was my talent".

What I really like is that in his bands the other players really come through - like the bass player (who you can hear singing on his solo) on the second take of Cariba.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jalapeno said:
    One of ?  THE !
    Agree with this - for me, the greatest jazz guitarist, period.
    Much as I love Wes (since age 20)... it's crazy to put him on a pedestal.

It's a discount to all the other wonderful guitarists to set him apart: Green, Benson, Reinhardt, Greene, Andress, Carlton, Scofield, Pizarelli, Farlow, Cress, Hall, Jordan(s) ... Breau, Pass, Martino... Remler, Ingram, Tedesco, Ritenour, Robson, Midon, Christian...

that's just the ones that entertained my ears!! Brett Wilmott, Alan De Mause, Mickey Baker, Jody Fisher...

Why pick one flower? enjoy the whole f**kin' meadow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @frankus yes. we can have our favourites, and for different reasons. asking if Jimi Hendrix is better than George Benson is like asking if oranges are better than apples. natch, you may have a preference for one or the other. BTW you missed Barney Kessel from that list of other guitarists ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I have the great Guitars series of DVDs with Wes - Barney Kessel - Jim Hall - Tal Farlow etc on 
    I like his playing and his time was a great but later players have surpassed him IMO for musicianship and playing technique 

He is not the greatest guitarist - that title belongs to Paco Di Lucia the best fingerstyle jazz guitarist ever 

Sorry Barney! (and Birelli Lagrene) ... but not Metheny ;)

check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_jazz_guitarists ; FFS!

I didn't know Nguyen Le classed as Jazz..

I love Wes, he seems like a great musician, great guitarist, great person but making him "the" seems to be missing an opportunity.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    Beautiful playing. In a different league to most jazzers - lots of soul. SRV's use of octaves in things like Riviera Paradise came straight from WM
    via Jimi of course ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I found Lagrene a few years back ... remarkable talent!

Nobody's mentioned Kenny Burrell ffs ....  B-)

• Necroposting just because:

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    frankus said:
    Sorry Barney! (and Birelli Lagrene) ... but not Metheny ;)

check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_jazz_guitarists ; FFS!

I didn't know Nguyen Le classed as Jazz..

I love Wes, he seems like a great musician, great guitarist, great person but making him "the" seems to be missing an opportunity.

And Kenny Burrell.
  • did someone mention Joe Pass?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Wes and Kenny Burrell are my 2 favourites by a big margin in the jazz world - so much soul, passion and emotion in their playing - Yet annoyingly, or frustratingly, you think you can play what they play and in some cases you can play their licks and tunes, yet somehow it never sounds right - great to be influenced by them, so even if you can't capture their magic you can be influenced by their ideas - many of their chords, licks and ideas you can use to jazz up your own blues ideas, which SRV and R Ford have done (plus others)