Best piano keyboard for iphone/iPad?

I've got GarageBand and a few synth apps on my new iPhone - what are the best portable keyboards to use with it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The ik multi media one (ikeys) is ok if you just want to lay some easy tracks in
    novation 49 will give you semi weighted keys but inputting to the device will require an interface
    yamaha do an excellent Bluetooth wireless midi dongle which works great with iOS 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @Cabicular thanks I like the idea of semi weighted keys, I'll check out the Novation
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Cabicular said:

yamaha do an excellent Bluetooth wireless midi dongle which works great with iOS 
    That's the somehow-self-powered one, right? Do you have hands-on experience with it?

Keen to know if latency over wireless MIDI is insignificant?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited December 2016
    goldtop said:
    Cabicular said:

That's the somehow-self-powered one, right? Do you have hands-on experience with it?

Keen to know if latency over wireless MIDI is insignificant?

It uses power from the MIDI Ports, most that support the MIDI Standard should support it, but some keyboards especially battery powered ones don't support power through MIDI.

In terms of latency, there is a maximum of 15ms imposed by the standard which is obviously too much, but in most cases it should be around 1-2ms.

Edit: List of some things that don't support midi power here:

http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm
    I use it to transmit drum midi from my 2 box kit to my Mac mini and it does a fine job
    if there is latency it isn't noticeable to me (or logic)
    Im pretty sure all errors are due to my shonky drumming
    @mellowsun If its of interest the iKeys pro is on an Amazon deal just now

IK Multimedia iRig Keys Pro Mobile MIDI Keyboard with Full Size Key for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and PC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GHVVXRU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q6AAyb737ASPN
    @Cabicular thanks, I think I'll get this, as my old M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard is not class compliant so doesn't work with iOS (just tried via the Lightning-USB adapter cable)
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited January 2017
    Noise is good for a bit of fun. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    IRig Keys Pro arrived yesterday. Great midi keyboard that works perfectly with the iPhone. Also downloaded Miroslav Philharmonik 2, Classical Percussion and Billy Cobham libraries. The quality is amazing - studio quality samples running seamlessly in 16 tracks on a phone, incredible!
    And good price too
    very portable. I take mine on holiday :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Was the amazon deal the current £85 price, or has it gone back up in price now?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    85 is the deal they are 120 ish normally
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks, have ordered one while they're discounted. Should be good for mobile tinkering
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Thanks, have ordered one while they're discounted. Should be good for mobile tinkering
    The iRig Keys Pro is bigger than I expected - it's great, with a nice action, but for mobile tinkering I'm wondering if the iRig keys mini might have been a better choice.
    It's more expensive and it's nearly impossible to get any velocity sensitivity with mini keys
    alright if all you do is play synth but if you have a piano patch it's hard