2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Ah right- nasty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I've not been on a proper run for a while due to hernia probs in 2010 but my best 10k is 48.55 and best half marathon is 2hr 10 so I'm no Mo Farrah..But I would like to get back to maybe a 5k race.
    My fitness is shot to buggery on my feet but I Swim & Surf like a Dolphin  :)
  • TTony said:
    octatonic said:
    1mile, takes me about 10-15 min
    That will burn about 100-120 calories, which is about 1/3rd of a Mars Bar, or around 5% of your daily calorie intake.
    Can you guess what I am going to say next? :)
    Only eat the Mars Bar minis?
    Run more? :lol: 

edited January 2017
    Run more? lol 

Either more or less.
    If you want to lose fat then run more.
    If you don't then the difference between what you are doing now and doing nothing is literally one bite of food. :)

(I'm ignoring the cardiovascular benefits of running, as I suspect are you :) ).
  • Tell you I feel it in my ass the day after :lol: And good for the lungs, but I do find I get sore shins.

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Tell you I feel it in my ass the day after :lol: And good for the lungs, but I do find I get sore shins.

That's almost certainly your trainers. Go to a shop that will watch you run then sell you the right trainers for your gait. I used to get terribly sore shins and the right trainers cured it overnight.  
    kjdowd said:
    Tell you I feel it in my ass the day after :lol: And good for the lungs, but I do find I get sore shins.

That's almost certainly your trainers. Go to a shop that will watch you run then sell you the right trainers for your gait. I used to get terribly sore shins and the right trainers cured it overnight.  
    Agree 100%.
    Made a big difference when I bought trainers to correct my supinated gait.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Good idea.  I do love running, but playing 5 a side every week and going boxing I need to fill the rest of the week with high intensity busts rather that long miles.  I found even when I did a half marathon and was really fit, going back to football was hard.  So I'll do something but more likely running up and down stairs and I also want to be able to skip 12 rounds.   Running wise I'll aim for 1x3 mile run a week, around 150 miles for 2017.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:

Agree 100%.
    Made a big difference when I bought trainers to correct my supinated gait.
    Compression socks can help too.  They made the biggest difference to me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm planning to run a couple of times a week this year.

I've stopped taking tech with me when I run so I'll have no idea how far I've run.
    I'm planning to run a couple of times a week this year.

I've stopped taking tech with me when I run so I'll have no idea how far I've run.
    Design some routes on http://www.walkjogrun.net or just guess.
    We won't audit you. :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Or use an app without any audio info. Leave it in your pocket and Just click END when you have finished.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited January 2017
    Sounds great!

My aims are not too high, but higher than I did last year. I am going to go for 350km, or home to Exeter.
    tFB Trader
    Or use an app without any audio info. Leave it in your pocket and Just click END when you have finished.

I've got run keeper and I used to use it religiously.

Recently I've been feeling like the most important part of running is the sense of physical and mental well-being and the actual distance and speed is irrelevant.

I've got run keeper and I used to use it religiously.

Recently I've been feeling like the most important part of running is the sense of physical and mental well-being and the actual distance and speed is irrelevant.
    Irrelevant might be taking it a bit far but it is certainly better to get out and do any type of exercise, even a brisk walk, than to do nothing.
    As you get into running you might end up setting yourself some goals as a way of motivating yourself- you do build up a tolerance for it and setting some distance and time goals can help keep it interesting.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Great idea. I'm in too. Did a 5k park run yesterday and should do another 5km this evening. I managed 520km last year according to strava so I'll aim for 800km as well. Planning on doing at least 2 half marathons and a few 10k's this year too. 
    tFB Trader
    My interest was piqued so I took runkeeper out with me. 

My normal loop is 2.7 miles and my average pace is 9:30 per mile. Quite pleased as though I'm slow it means I'm quite close to being able to do a 5k. 

I've done that twice so my this year total is 8.6km 

• kjdowd said:

Try and get a recommendation from friends or a local running club for a shop that does good fittings. I've known shops to do a video test on a running machine, then suggest what they have tons of in their warehouse - whether or not it's appropriate. Same is true for ski boots. But I don't recommend running ski boots :-)
    January 2nd: (5 +) 9.5km = 14.5km total

Big run today- we parked up at the entrance to Blenheim Palace, ran around the grounds and into central Woodstock, had lunch and then ran back.
    Quite tired now.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I think we might need a noobs club - this seems a bit advanced lol 
    Red ones are better.