Terry Morgan 59 Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited January 2017
    I've done structural repairs on a number of '50s Les Pauls.  None of them were made of Khaya.  All of them were Honduran/Brazilian.

You don't need microscope to tell the difference.

Interesting that people who now make '50s inspired Gibson type guitars from Khaya now tell us that Khaya is what they used back in the day.  

Khaya is much cheaper and more easily obtained.  That IS a fact.

GSPBASSES said:
    Just to clarify the wood I have used in the past is Cedrela from  Africa. I always put in brackets after Cedrela  "Spanish Cedar". This is more so people can identify with the type of  wood  as opposed to the exact wood. South American  Cedrela  has not been available for many years I believe it was one of the first mahogany type woods  to be banned  from being cut down and exported .  Fortunately Africa has no such ban on this wood at the present time.  I believe the name  Spanish cedar derived from  South America Cedrela being used by Spanish guitar makers many centuries ago.  I do not actually use Cedrela  any more for the construction of solid body guitars,  my only used for this now is for making kerfed linings.
    Both are available last time I checked.  Brazilian is more expensive though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    DamianP said:
    I've done structural repairs on a number of '50s Les Pauls.  None of them were made of Khaya.  All of them were Honduran/Brazilian.

Interesting that people who now make '50s inspired Gibson type guitars from Khaya now tell us that Khaya is what they used back in the day.  

So - the fakers are faking it....

At least if you buy a modern Gibson, you know it's not made out of the right stuff.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited January 2017
    DamianP said:

At least if you buy a modern Gibson, you know it's not made out of the right stuff.
    Right is what works.

I don't subscribe to the Jackanory school of guitar making.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:

Spanish cedar is the Terry Morgan 59 burst of the wood world.

Its not actually Spanish, or a cedar.   Its from south America and is part of the mahogany family 

Sorry @WezV the penny just drop. It might be because I've been sniffing all the wood in my wood store, seeing if I could tell the difference between African mahogany, Brazilian Mahogany, Indian Rosewood, Rio Rosewood, Baked Maple, un-Baked Maple, Rocklike, Ebony etc. 

DamianP said:

I like it !!!     So - the fakers are faking it....

Did I miss something, I don't remember anybody saying anything about the price of Khaya or its availability. 

I didn't say the forgers were telling us that Gibson was using African mahogany on the 58 59 Les Pauls. Gibson are the ones telling us they were using African mahogany. 

I was only commenting on information that is available. If you do not believe Gibson fair enough. I would not like to say one way the other to be honest. I've also repaired a lot of early Gibson's, and I can't tell you they were made of South American mahogany or African mahogany, at the time it was no interest to me. I would just look for a piece of mahogany to match the colour and if possible the grain pattern and use it. 

How many guitar repairers does it take to repair a 59 Gibson?

10, one  to get on repairing it, while the other 9  spend the whole day debating whether it's African mahogany, or South American mahogany.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I've cut several blanks out of old khaya old honduran, old Brazilian from David dyke, some other african mahogany that was over 30 yrs old but looked different to my other khaya, I think it came from a boat builders and it was great wood and fairly light

I also went to timberline recently and they had some khaya neck blanks that looked so close to honduran in appearance, I even put it next to the honduran body blanks they had and you wouldn't really know

Point is its splitting hairs tonally imo and i say good wood is good wood, my main concern is the weight, I like lighter weight blanks as I think they sound better to me

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I've cut several blanks out of old khaya old honduran, old Brazilian from David dyke, some other african mahogany that was over 30 yrs old but looked different to my other khaya, I think it came from a boat builders and it was great wood and fairly light

I also went to timberline recently and they had some khaya neck blanks that looked so close to honduran in appearance, I even put it next to the honduran body blanks they had and you wouldn't really know

Point is its splitting hairs tonally imo and i say good wood is good wood, my main concern is the weight, I like lighter weight blanks as I think they sound better to me

I read that as david icke... which wouldve been taking this thread from the sublime to the ridiculous! :) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    CloudNine said:
    Apparently Spanish cedar was used on some early 52's 

I think they used both types tbh or whatever they could get hold of
      Thought maybe the Spanish Cedar would be identifiable, it smells amazing. It is a type of mahogany as far as I know, but it definitely smells a lot different. Suppose that could fade over many years, not sure.

I bought this earlier in the year. McInturff Carolina Standard. It is Spanish Cedar, weighs 8lbs on the dot, Florance Voodoo 59 pups, just an unbelievable single cut. I have owned a few Historics and played loads when I was searching for one a few years back. Also had the Huber and Collings versions but this is a level above all of them. No way could go back to a Gibson LP after this. All the good aspects of an LP intact, all the annoying bits taken away. Tone is the best of any I have played personally.

Never played one of these top secret replicas, but would be interested to have a go. I definitely wouldn't want to pay the prices they go for though..

A fine guitar, whoever let it go must be nuts! 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Am I allowed to say I noticed this for sale with another dealer, who I think is a member here? Nice looking guitar but not one of those ones that screams 'Want it'  :) 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    Strat54 said:
    Am I allowed to say I noticed this for sale with another dealer, who I think is a member here? Nice looking guitar but not one of those ones that screams 'Want it'  :) 
    Is it definitely the same one? I wonder what the asking price will be...?!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    edited January 2017
    Strat54 said:
    Am I allowed to say I noticed this for sale with another dealer, who I think is a member here? Nice looking guitar but not one of those ones that screams 'Want it'   

£5995 from memory *EDITED*
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited January 2017
    Strat54 said:
    Am I allowed to say I noticed this for sale with another dealer, who I think is a member here? Nice looking guitar but not one of those ones that screams 'Want it'   

£8995 from memory
    Knock 33% off that and you'll be somewhere near.

So, True Historic, or this? I know which I would choose.

Rob
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Can't be sure its the same one cos Mark didn't post the pics, which can't blame him after all the grief. Bit of a coincidence though. It was posted as £5995 but when I looked later it said P.O.A. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Can't be sure its the same one cos Mark didn't post the pics, which can't blame him after all the grief. Bit of a coincidence though. It was posted as £5995 but when I looked later it said P.O.A. 
    I haven't sold it - but it is the same guitar - I don't need to sell it and am content to keep it - had a few interested inquiries via FB at a price that I would accept and RH knows this price - I believe he has interest in it from a 3rd party overseas, but at the time I was not aware he was going to post details on his facebook site - Have had additional interest today from a fellow FB member but at this stage it can stay with me - But watch this space
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Is he 'brokering' it for you Mark?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    no - but he did have a potential customer overseas - he came over yesterday to have a look at it and that is the last I knew until his posting on face book - I do have an additional interest, via a fellow FB member, from today, but at the moment I still own it and have not listed it commercially for sale and more than content to keep it
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    no - but he did have a potential customer overseas - he came over yesterday to have a look at it and that is the last I knew until his posting on face book - I do have an additional interest, via a fellow FB member, from today, but at the moment I still own it and have not listed it commercially for sale and more than content to keep it
    Right....!?

Best of luck with the FB member :+1:  
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Every time I open this thread to read new content I feel like I've slipped onto the dark web, or the twilight zone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16670
    edited January 2017
    Every time I open this thread to read new content I feel like I've slipped onto the dark web, or the twilight zone!
    Try to keep up.  It stopped being about a guitar a few pages ago and switched to human trafficking.

its Terry Morgan himself that's for sale now.

at least I assume that's what they are talking about given the prices  and morality questions ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    WezV said:
    Try to keep up.  It stopped being about a guitar a few pages ago and switched to human trafficking.

at least I assume that's what they are talking about given the prices  and morality questions ;)
    To be fair, I lost the plot a good few pages back - I'm only coming back now to see if it ends in a 'Lost' style cataclysmic plot let-down..
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited January 2017
    WezV said:
    Does he come with all the 'case candy'? In particular, Orville Gibson's birth certificate?

Incidentally the Gbson logo on this is visible on Facebook for all to see....