Akai New Headrush: looks like a Helix! (Best thread version)

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll stick with my blue E2 for now ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26551
    edited January 2017

"Developed by the team behind Avid's Eleven DSP, HeadRush boasts a quad-core processor and Eleven HD Expanded DSP, which aim to deliver "the most versatile, realistic-sounding and responsive" models ever found in a floorboard guitar FX processor."

In the words of a well-known ex-member..."yet another floorboard processor that makes the Fractal stuff look like 1980s bullshit" :D

Seriously, though, this looks spectacular. If it's anything close to the sound I could get from the Eleven Rack, I'm sold - that was always my favourite-sounding modeller, it just sucked in live use.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
  • Ooooooooooooh
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Err, that's what @fretmeister posted an hour ago. 
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
    £899.99
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Sorry, I had a "bass player" filter engaged :D

Err, that's what @fretmeister posted an hour ago. 
    Looks very cool. 

Any indication of price?
    £899.99
    Wow.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • heh, when I saw fretmeister's thread I glanced at it, but didn't really read much at it because I thought this was some kind of a looping system.  Looks really cool.
  • http://www.headrushfx.com/

Scroll to the bottom and have a look at the models. I suspect @professorben will recognise the list.

Basically, it's a quad-core Eleven Rack with gapless switching, a looper and a vastly-improved user interface. If it also has spillover, I'm sold.
    <space for hire>
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    Watched the video. What pedalboard? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great. Will be interested to hear more, price point seems good.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited January 2017
    When I saw the image, at first I thought it was Line 6 releasing a stripped down version of the Helix!

Still has 2 fx loops, touch screen looks pretty easy and intuitive to use. 

I wonder if it does the dual path thing that helix does? If not, that is a massive difference, the parallel mixing helix offers, as well as dual paths for 2 guitars or Vocal + guitar etc, would still push it over the edge, feature wise for me.

Of course, if this sounds better + has the features you need and is a little cheaper, then it could be a no brainer,

Will be interesting to see if Boss bother to go this route in the future?
  • Of course, there's part of me which wonders whether they just got an Android tablet, recompiled the Eleven firmware for it, glued it into a Helix-alike chassis and put a class-compliant audio interface in there.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My only concern with editing on a touch screens is how it copes with sweaty fingers.  I still think there's always a place for buttons and knobs

• My only concern with editing on a touch screens is how it copes with sweaty fingers.  I still think there's always a place for buttons and knobs

Ever used your phone with sweaty fingers? I suspect it'll cope just fine.

Doesn't look to me like it'll be a problem, and it also has an alternate hands-free editing interface, presumably just like the Helix.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream yeps, they look familiar. 
    Interesting they have brought across some of the AIR fx from protools and it also now features a Harmoniser section.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27952
    Looks neat - though I'm not sure if drag and drop is as good as having the row of parameter knobs on the Helix. Both would be nice.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    edited January 2017
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.

edited January 2017
    When I saw the image, at first I thought it was Line 6 releasing a stripped down version of the Helix!

Still has 2 fx loops, touch screen looks pretty easy and intuitive to use. 

I wonder if it does the dual path thing that helix does? If not, that is a massive difference, the parallel mixing helix offers, as well as dual paths for 2 guitars or Vocal + guitar etc, would still push it over the edge, feature wise for me.

Of course, if this sounds better + has the features you need and is a little cheaper, then it could be a no brainer,

Will be interesting to see if Boss bother to go this route in the future?
    Check this out (crop from the image on their site):

Note the "Stereo Doubler" at the end, and the two amp/cab pairs - there's clearly some kind of signal path splitting going on. The graphics don't seem quite right - the "cable" goes straight from the "air filter" to the doubler with nothing going through the amps/cabs, but it's at least an indication of where they're heading.

EDIT: In fact, the Stereo Doubler is an interesting one in and of itself - it's listed on their site under "Reverbs/Delays", which sort of makes you wonder if it's actually something along the lines of the TC Mimiq.
    <space for hire>