The secret to David Gilmour's sound

What's Hot
GW: How does Dave achieve the classic sound that we hear on the solos of songs like "Comfortably Numb"?

PT: It think it's just pretty much him. He is obviously using a couple of effects, like a Big Muff and a delay, but it really is just his fingers, his vibrato, his choice of notes and how he sets his effects. I find it extraordinary when people think they can copy his sound by duplicating his gear. In reality, no matter how well you duplicate the equipment, you will never be able to duplicate the personality.

So, Big Muff, bit of delay, finger transplant, brain transplant, and you're sorted :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    You really need to go on Gilmourish.com and then give up, it is all in the fingers, so don't bother 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Buy a new pair of slacks
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Too much gain, clearly.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Or try this ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    Just ask @Gassage surely?  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Fretwired said:
    Or try this ....

I'm sure they are lovely guys and probably brilliant at their own preferred style of music. But if you want to sound like Gilmour then forget the pedals and the guitar and just phrase it like Gilmour does .... that will get you closer than anything in that video.

I think if you want to sound like a particular player, get very familiar with their style, not the gear. But then Andertons have to sell gear not wisdom so I get the idea of the vid
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I've found the neck pickup on a strat, WEM about to break up a bit and a teeny bit of delay (or playing in a big echoey room) sound close enough for me thanks.
    Also trying to put myself in the mindset of an old man who lives on a boat...
    :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I've found the neck pickup on a strat, WEM about to break up a bit and a teeny bit of delay (or playing in a big echoey room) sound close enough for me thanks.
    Also trying to put myself in the mindset of an old man who lives on a boat...
    :)
    ...with Master Bates and Roger the cabin boy...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A sequel to the "how to sound like..." but this time with fancy expensive kit....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Seriously I've heard better DG impressions from guys in my pub playing mex strats into HRD's on 5 pints of happy juice 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Sadly the only thing that gets you there is talent.  The other guitarist in my band (who also played in a Floyd tribute) is so good you could genuinely believe DG was playing - he plays a Les Paul into a Fender Solid State amp with a Korg MultiFX pedal and sounds 100% 'right'.  He once turned up to a practise, plugged straight into a Valvestate 2x12 and sounded exactly the same.  Bastard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Danny1969 said:

But if you want to sound like Gilmour then forget the pedals and the guitar and just phrase it like Gilmour does .... that will get you closer than anything in that video.

I think if you want to sound like a particular player, get very familiar with their style, not the gear. 

This. Much more complicated and time consuming of course, and not for sale.

Which might not be a bad thing. If that were the only way, maybe we'd all spend *enough* time working on tone, touch and phrasing to get somewhere in the ballpark of our favourite player's sound, then go "fuck it, that'll do" and start being original.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    It is so so true as I know to my cost.

Spending time with people like Guy, Dave Fowler and Steve McElroy really bring home how much is in the fingers and how every note is squeezed of every bit of tone it has.

Last August, in Chantilly, I was at the soundcheck and DG strolled on stage with his acoustic and just did High Hopes acoustically- it was stunning- no effects and I swear I would have spotted it immediately.

THis clip below is also an excellent way fo showing it- no strat, no harsh fx, no hiwatt...yet still pure unmistakable DG.

Just his 1956 goldtop into an Alessdandro amp, tad of delay and comp.

Excuse the crowd...music starts at 1.00

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Ew, he needs to work on the tuning on those bends. ;)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    No, he really doesn't.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Gassage said:
    No, he really doesn't.
    Love is blind. :) <3 <3 <3
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    I love DG but those bends are very sharp. Still, maybe he is human after all
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Gassage said:
    No, he really doesn't.
    Love is blind. :) <3 <3 <3
    Shurly deaf? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom