What are you using to amplify your Helix/AxeFX/Kemper?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited January 2017 in Amps
I'm looking at options for amplifying my Helix and was wonder what other users are using and why?

After some research I like the look of the Line 6 L2M/L2T with it's smallish size, big power and especially the guitar mode to replicate a guitar speaker cab.

I'm not locked in FRFR though and will be looking at valve power amps and guitar speakers too.

The Line 6 L2 sound very good here on this old vid with Paul Hindmarsh and his PODHD500:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    edited January 2017

I'm using a Yamaha DXR10 (on a small speaker stand so that it is at waist height) with my helix. I'm using it like backline and haven't tried going direct through the PA yet.

I've done a few gigs with that set up so far and I'm really happy with it. It sounds great and is a really compact and portable rig.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    rich75 said:

I'm using a Yamaha DXR10 (on a small speaker stand so that it is at waist height) with my helix. I'm using it like backline and haven't tried going direct through the PA yet.

I've done a few gigs with that set up so far and I'm really happy with it. It sounds great and is a really compact and portable rig.

Interesting, a good bit cheaper than the L6 L2 but powerful with it.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Matrix Q12, again on a speaker stand, but above waist height. Solid piece of kit which stands behind bounced around. Bought it second hand. Would have taken some convincing to shell out for a new one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Power section of a 300W bass amp, then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

It's lovely. And loud.

I just swap the cabs for a pair of Barefaced Bass Retros if I'm playing bass.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yamaha DXR10 here too (with a Kemper). A mate of mine has recently got a Helix and has been borrowing the Yam for a bit - he's very happy with the results.
  • Matrix GT1000FX and regular cabs.

• Power section of a 300W bass amp, then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

It's lovely. And loud.

This is something that not enough people do, I think - for example, a Peavey MiniMAX's power section is 500W into 4R, so probably about 250W into 8R, plenty of headroom. It's also only 2.5kg.

If I go down the Headrush route, and eventually end up playing live at some point, I'll just get a similar mini bass head and run it into my 2x12".
    <space for hire>
    Matrix GT1000FX and regular cabs.

Cab models/IRs off I presume and just using pre-amps?

It's lovely. And loud.

This is something that not enough people do, I think - for example, a Peavey MiniMAX's power section is 500W into 4R, so probably about 250W into 8R, plenty of headroom. It's also only 2.5kg.

If I go down the Headrush route, and eventually end up playing live at some point, I'll just get a similar mini bass head and run it into my 2x12".
    By routing your modeller into the FX return to just use the mini bass head's power amp? Interesting.

What would be the difference between a guitar amp power amp section and bass amp power section tonally?

• Matrix GT1000FX and regular cabs.
    Cab models/IRs off I presume and just using pre-amps?

Cab models off, using the full amp model (pre and power amp modelling).
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Marshall 20/20 amp with a pair of Yamaha CBR12 cabs, works perfectly for me with my Axe-Fx
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    I had a Line6 Stagesource but it was very, very heavy and unwieldy. It was the 3 version rather than the 2.

I now have a pair of Presonus Eris 8 monitors - lovely big drivers to get a bit more depth even at fairly low volume.

Were I gigging I'd go for a nice, light, efficient Class D power amplifier (using work discounts) and a very lightweight cab I could add a bracket for the amp to. Or use my cello amp - a Genz Benz shuttle - which goes ridiculously loud but can be easily carried with one hand.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Kemper - For home use, spdif into Cambridge Dacmagic into a Yamaha hifi amp into B&W shelf speakers and Tannoy floor standers. Playing outside, into a Peavey 6505 212 with WGS retro 30 speakers (preamp in) bypassing the cab emulation. Sounds ok to me. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906

It's lovely. And loud.

By routing your modeller into the FX return to just use the mini bass head's power amp? Interesting.

What would be the difference between a guitar amp power amp section and bass amp power section tonally?
    Depends on the amp!

I'm using a Tecamp Puma 300. It only weighs 2.2lb, it's very clean sounding and lets the Helix do all the work.

It does like quite a good signal from the Helix - say around 50% on the Helix volume. In the house that means the Puma volume control is very low indeed! It's a loud thing.
  • Yamaha DXR 10... Sounds great with my Atomic Amplifire.... loads of headroom...very amp like response and sounds good in a "live" band mix.... i've always been a valve amp player, but heading towards this way of working...Atomic CLR are said to be good also
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Friedman asm12 for my ax8 and amplifire.   Definitely sounds more amp like than regular active PA cabs I tried - db, rcf etc.    
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    Kemper toaster with built in power amp - from 'Ritter' not Kemper.  Then into a Matrix wedge FRFR cab.

Sounds good, but I haven't auditioned other FRFR amps / cabs to compare it with.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    4 options I use (I run in stereo)
    All options have XLRs to FOH with cab emulations on.
    2 Freyette powerstations in a rack and 2 1x12s
    A stereo Marshall 9100 and two cabs
    A couple of standard guitar amps either through the front or via FX loops
    2 Atomic reactor 1x12 Valve powered FRFR amps

I EQ to suit the situation

• Power section of a 300W bass amp, then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

It's lovely. And loud.

In terms of solid state amps, I'd guess there's very little. Or, more relevantly, there's probably very little to choose between the average bass amp power section and the standalone power amps that most people use for their modellers in that they're fairly neutral; the guitar amp model usually takes care of any tonality that a guitar amp would impart.
    <space for hire>
  • Fryette Power Station into real cab.

Switched from matrix power amps after years of using them.  Frfr never worked for me live as backline.