Lady Guitarists

What's Hot
BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
Hi folks, I have only posted on here a couple of times before and have to say I have always had lovely replies from you all. 

I am a pretty much 'no nothing beginner' who is trying hard to improve. The last 9 months or so have been pretty rubbish for me health wise as I sustained a still unresolved back injury and then in October broke my leg so I have been fairly limited with what I can do.  I do however play twice a week with neighbour's which is fun but they are not at all ambitious or want to move forwards. I also have a very kind mate who is helping me with all kinds of guitar related thing which is great! 

Anyway, the reason for this thread is I was talking on the phone earlier to a guitar shop (not my usual one) who was very offhand and made several very caustic comments about 'women that think they can play guitar'. Sadly I have come across this attitude more than once too.  I know I probably need to toughen up and grow a pair but to be honest I found it all quite upsetting and a big knock to my already low confidence.  I was very honest with the guy on the phone, I didn't come across as if I was Erica Clapton, Davina Gilmour or any other female alter ego! 

So chaps, honesty time please before I make a total prat of myself again, is it wrong as a fat middle aged woman to be wanting to play guitar?  Not just strumming along to a little folk song or something as a lot of female guitarists seem content with (not that there is anything wrong in that) but wanting to be able to make my beloved Les Paul shout, sing or cry one of these days. I have a collection of guitars way above my needs or ability in reality but I love them! My two 'go to' ones are my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and my Taylor acoustic.

So folks, lady guitarists - Yay or Nay!!   Or any thoughts or opinions on the subject - I know it's probably a contentious one.
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    This isn't the 1900's, do what you want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not contentious, I find it hard to believe someone living in the 21st century would actually hold this view.

Carol Kaye. 

Nita Strauss.

Lita Ford.

Orianthi.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Do your thing Blackjack....ain't nobody's business but your own. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7393
    Blackjack said:
    Hi folks, I have only posted on here a couple of times before and have to say I have always had lovely replies from you all. 

I am a pretty much 'no nothing beginner' who is trying hard to improve. The last 9 months or so have been pretty rubbish for me health wise as I sustained a still unresolved back injury and then in October broke my leg so I have been fairly limited with what I can do.  I do however play twice a week with neighbour's which is fun but they are not at all ambitious or want to move forwards. I also have a very kind mate who is helping me with all kinds of guitar related thing which is great! 

Anyway, the reason for this thread is I was talking on the phone earlier to a guitar shop (not my usual one) who was very offhand and made several very caustic comments about 'women that think they can play guitar'. Sadly I have come across this attitude more than once too.  I know I probably need to toughen up and grow a pair but to be honest I found it all quite upsetting and a big knock to my already low confidence.  I was very honest with the guy on the phone, I didn't come across as if I was Erica Clapton, Davina Gilmour or any other female alter ego! 

So chaps, honesty time please before I make a total prat of myself again, is it wrong as a fat middle aged woman to be wanting to play guitar?  Not just strumming along to a little folk song or something as a lot of female guitarists seem content with (not that there is anything wrong in that) but wanting to be able to make my beloved Les Paul shout, sing or cry one of these days. I have a collection of guitars way above my needs or ability in reality but I love them! My two 'go to' ones are my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and my Taylor acoustic.

So folks, lady guitarists - Yay or Nay!!   Or any thoughts or opinions on the subject - I know it's probably a contentious one.
    Hi Blackjack,

First off I think you should name and shame the shop you mention !

I've got huge respect for people who take up their instrument later in life - I think it's harder for all sorts of reasons.
    Go for it I say.

By playing with other people from the start you're probably getting a better grounding than many beginners.
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    and Taylor Swift  <3

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    You should come along to the guitar show in Brum at the end of Feb and have a good old chinwag with lots of guitarists.

I would imagine that the general opinion here will be that we don't give a jot what sex you are - if you like guitars then you'll get on fine and you'll get all the encouragement you can handle here.

My missus is 45 and started drumming last year. She loves it - she has a very encouraging teacher and she's improved massively.

Don't worry about it - just play. Oh, and let's see some pics of those 'go to' guitars as well ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • and Taylor Swift  <3

she is the curt coblane of our generation
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All should be welcome - it does tend to attract more boys that girls but that should be all the more reason to welcome any girls that want to join in!

The more the merrier! :)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Wow do people even have these types of views nower days!  That's madness,  and truly backwards....... Just log off and go back to sewing and chardonnay. 

Obviously Only messing,  music is non gender just like most things these days, do what makes you feel good,  and embrace the journey of becoming a fantastic guitarist,
    It has nothing to do with willies or fannies. 
    Oh, and if anyone from a shop ever disses you for being a woman again when you ring up trying to spend your money with them, just tell them to go fuck themselves (politely if you like) and take your money elsewhere. Disgraceful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I agree, do name and shame the shop in question, that is bang out fo order as an attitude, but if they actually came out and said these things, that is unbelievable.  Not to mention, bad for business.

If you enjoy playing, then go for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell 'em to go fuck themselves. 

Fat middle aged men keep guitar stores in business, absolutely zero reason why a woman can't too. 

Age, gender, size. All irrelevant when it comes to making music. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow do people even have these types of views nower days!  That's madness,  and truly backwards....... Just log off and go back to sewing and chardonnay. 

Obviously Only messing,  music is non gender just like most things these days, do what makes you feel good,  and embrace the journey of becoming a fantastic guitarist,
    Which is rather fortuitous....I'm much better with my guitar than my dick...allegedly..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow do people even have these types of views nower days!  That's madness,  and truly backwards....... Just log off and go back to sewing and chardonnay. 

Which is rather fortuitous....I'm much better with my guitar than my dick...allegedly..
    At what?????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow do people even have these types of views nower days!  That's madness,  and truly backwards....... Just log off and go back to sewing and chardonnay. 

At what?????
    Slinging it over me shoulder...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    There is plenty of female guitarists, 
    Nancy Wilson, 
    Annie Clark (St Vincent) 
    Tedeschi Trucks, 
    Taylor Swift, 
    Nanci Griffith, 
    Margo Price, 
    and loads more that I can't think of. 
  • I like to think there's just plenty of guitarists...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    I'm pretty sure a very high percentage of Fretboarders is middle aged and possibly fat, nothing unusual there. 
    The fact that you are a woman is irrelevant, the guy in the shop Is just a silly dinosaur.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10266
    tFB Trader
    In my past life teaching guitar ... I had several female students ... and they all paid more attention than my male ones! My experience is that women can be very de http:// dicated and single minded learning musical instruments ... I have several female friends who play strings (cello, viola and violin) in well known orchestras. Nobody takes the mickey out of them, so why female guitarists? You go for it ... there's plenty of help and support on here ... 
    For some inspiration ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL9rBAjut2g
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Refer the pricks in the guitar shop to Michelle Meldrum. No longer with us but what a player:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom