Mid life crisis averted

What's Hot
Not a full blown crisis....more of a wobble/having ideas above my station. Thought that I would have a go at 'jazz' guitar as I hurtle towards my 60th birthday. Eight months later I realise my folly and have gone back to Nazareth/Thin Lizzy riffs. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Welcome back. Louder is better. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited January 2017
    Not a full blown crisis....more of a wobble/having ideas above my station. Thought that I would have a go at 'jazz' guitar as I hurtle towards my 60th birthday. Eight months later I realise my folly and have gone back to Nazareth/Thin Lizzy riffs. 
    Good! Nazareth never get the credit they deserve. Just a great rock band. More cowbell anyone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    you only need one Jazz chord - the Jimi Chord!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Count yourself lucky, I'm only 42, I bought a banjo at 40 and got into country and bluegrass.  Still it does makes sense because there are always various folk down the pub who randomly bring in instruments and there is a piano, but they are mostly folk musicians.  Sadly though I do fear the heated, over excited late nights cranking the Marshall to Dokken riffs and solos are behind me.

Although I still like Palitoy Action Man and skateboarding, even though I don't play with them and WASP, so maybe it's just a 'Phase' and I'II grow out of it, don't want to though.  Even blasphemed and considered selling a Charvel.  No, maybe not quite yet.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I stick to the old-dogs-new-tricks motto. I've picked up a few things recently as far as bass goes, but I'm quite happy to keep my guitar playing as simple as always
  • I got some useful stuff for basic. II. V. I. Off Matt warnock site  , but I forgot it now but he is very good at teaching. I'm sticking to guns n roses etc lol
  • Sambostar said:
      Sadly though I do fear the heated, over excited late nights cranking the Marshall to Dokken riffs and solos are behind me.

Mods, we need a "Cop on" or "Horseshit!" button....

=)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • I got some useful stuff for basic. II. V. I. Off Matt warnock site  , but I forgot it now but he is very good at teaching. I'm sticking to guns n roses etc lol

I haven't completely severed my interest in Jazz. I occasionally peruse Mr Warnocks site (Play jazz guitar) on Facey. I enjoy trying to pick up nuggets of knowledge from his weekly Q&A video sessions.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6387
    edited April 2017
    Jens Larsen has a great YouTube Jazz Guitar channel - with a new video every Thursday.

Found here -----> Linky

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I don't think that you're having ideas above your station as there is so much to learn about jazz! I'd suggest that you try learning a complete jazz song that you like. You may need to break it down into chunks and it may take some time, but I'd suggest sticking with it even if it's out of your comfort zone. In addition, you may find it beneficial to study a jazz course as the right course will add structure and context. Good luck!
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited April 2017
    CarpeDiem said:
    I don't think that you're having ideas above your station as there is so much to learn about jazz! I'd suggest that you try learning a complete jazz song that you like. You may need to break it down into chunks and it may take some time, but I'd suggest sticking with it even if it's out of your comfort zone. In addition, you may find it beneficial to study a jazz course as the right course will add structure and context. Good luck!
    Been there.....done that. Every month the FB page concentrates on a 'jazz classic' to learn the chords and  then play solo over these chords. Last month was 'All of me'. This month the tune is 'Corcovado'. I managed to hack out a respectable attempt of All of me. But I'm back playing power chords to Lizzy's  Jailbreak now.  From Pass to Gorham. .....diversity indeed. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    As you say, diversity indeed, although Thin Lizzy do use some jazz chords so you'll get even more benefit from your Pass, etc, diversions! Perhaps you should get together with some jazz players if your 'wobble' persists!