SOLO of the Month #23 - Voting

What's Hot
Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #23

Voting closes on the 31st January at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-23-2017-01
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Great entries this month and tight at the top

5 points - @Teetonetal - Great rock style with lots of variation
    3 points - @Rowby1 - Another great solo. Really nice playing which fitted the backing really well.
    1 point - @stratman3142 - Smooth and cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Bit thinner on the ground this time which seems a shame for such an interesting backing track. 

Anyway, my points then:

5 points - @Bellycaster I liked the call and response thing particularly. Nicely done.
    3 points - @stratman3142 Liked the melodic phrases in the opening section. 
    1 point - @Teetonetal  Let's Rock! I did think that maybe there was a bit too much verb/delay going on which meant it didn't sit as well with the track as it could have.

Top job all round though! 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    As always struggling to pick a top 3. Some cracking entries again and it's cool to hear the different takes on my track.

5 points @stratman3142 ;
    3 points @Rowby1 ;
    1 point @Bellycaster (flipped a coin with @ChrisRG ;

@Rowby1 yeah. Sadly can only mix through headphones so getting levels right can be a challenge. Good feedback though, thanks.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    With hindsight I should have entered this one because it's a great track, but I'm just coming to my senses after the madness of the festive season.

5 points @ChrisRG - very professional, really like the treatment in the breakdown, and topped off with some lovely tapping goodness!

3 points @stratman3142 - very Stratty and tasteful

and I'm going to stick my neck out here and say...

1 point @selfobsessednewguy - never heard anything quite like that here, or anywhere, for that matter.  Whether it's a flash of genius, insanity, parody, or simply drunkenness, that intro gave me a wry smile just through its sheer nerve.  As for the rest of it, well you clearly don't give a f**k!  I don't think you can get away with that on a regular basis, but I do like an anti-solo every now and again.  Good for the soul-o.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2017
    ... @stratman3142 - very Stratty and tasteful

It's actually the neck pickup on my Telecaster which does sound quite Stratty.

My votes are:

5 points: @Rowby1This seems to fit best with the track.

3 points: @Teetonetal : Lots of attitude. I agree with Rowby1 that there's possibly a bit too much reverb/delay for my taste but a good sound and good playing nonetheless.

1 point : @ChrisRG : Another good solo. Perhaps slightly too 'full on' for the track for my taste but great playing.

It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Maybe it's because I didn't do a solo myself this time, but I'm finding it harder to get into this track, and the same goes for some of the solos.

That said, still some great moments as always, and never less than enjoyable to listen to everyone's takes on things.

5 points @Rowby1 - good intro, nicely judged throughout, some sweet phrasing and feels like it sits in the track best.
    3 points @stratman3142 - I like the melodic approach and the tone works well with the rest of the backing.
    1 point @Teetonetal - the middle, quiet section is brilliant but the rock out bits are a bit too over-the-top for my taste. Spectacular playing though.
  • I've had my top 3 all ends up, but finally decided on.

5 Points @Rowby1 Probably the best way to approach this backing (he says in hindsight) fits well and played excellently.

3 Points @ChrisRG Some nifty playing here and a good mix between slower and faster phrases that compliment each other.

1 Point @Teetonetal  Fluid Guitar Gymnastics with plenty of balls and excellent technique as usual, but thought i was a bit too balls out all the way through for the backing (says someone who approached it the same way)

:)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 1 point @selfobsessednewguy - never heard anything quite like that here, or anywhere, for that matter.  Whether it's a flash of genius, insanity, parody, or simply drunkenness, that intro gave me a wry smile just through its sheer nerve.  As for the rest of it, well you clearly don't give a f**k!  I don't think you can get away with that on a regular basis, but I do like an anti-solo every now and again.  Good for the soul-o.
    thanks for the point bruh. i was indeed high/drunk and i didn't really align it right but i do believe it was inspired from the correct place despite its clear faults. you made me laugh so ty.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    5 @Rowby1 ;

3 @Teetonetal ;

1 @selfobsessednewguy

although I nearly changed my mind when I found out it wasn't composed with thought and theory in sobriety.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voting closed 
    Old Is Gold