Vocal microphones recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ordered an sm58 and hercules mic stand.
    Never knew the sm58 has a (minimal) wind and pop filter so neglected getting anything like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249

Never knew the sm58 has a (minimal) wind and pop filter
    That's why it's a better general-purpose mic than the SM57 if the prime purpose is vocals. It also has slightly less top-end, so is less prone to feedback.

For me, vocals aren't a consideration ;) so I have a 57… and a separate foam pop shield in case anyone else ever does need to sing through it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I did consider exactly that, believe it or not! :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Slightly off-topic, I recently bought an SM57 for micing my amp when recording. The first thing I recorded required precisely zero eq to make it sit perfectly in the mix.

Some things 'just work'!
  • Nice!!!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    I always buy foam shields.

Partly because it means I can spot my mic in a crowd, and if I'm using someone else's mic, it keeps my mouth away from previous singer's spat out rotting burger and tobacco bits that are wedged in the mic grill.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Still vote for Sennheiser Exxx range - I have one that cost £50 or so (I recall) - much better sound than SM58, and MUCH less prone to feedback/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ah damn. We'll maybe in future.. :)
  • Jalapeno said:
    Still vote for Sennheiser Exxx range - I have one that cost £50 or so (I recall) - much better sound than SM58, and MUCH less prone to feedback/
    ^^ This. I got miy Sennheiser 6 or 7 years ago in a stock clearance from Maplin for £40. I don't have a very powerful singing voice, but the Sennheiser suits my voice better than the SM58 which I also have. Agree that it's less proned to feedback

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    The most feedback resistant live mics I've used are Audix OM3 and AKG D5

I really like the SM58 as it goes. 

The Audio Technica ATM series are good too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I have a D5, but will be using my Thomann Mike tonight as it has a switch and I will only be doing one number