Midi Controllers

Decided rather than a synth I'll get a controller and go down the soft synth route.  Trouble is 90% of the controllers available seem to look like cheap plastic toys with the exception of :

NI Kontrol - V Expensive

Novation SL MKii - -getting a bit long n the tooth

Arturia - Apparently the keyboard is rubbish

Anyone got any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Well I have an arturia key lab 49. I had to get two as the first one was broken on delivery. Pros: Feels really nice, easy to use, nice range of knobs and sliders. Cons: Keyboard might feel nice, but is very cheaply made. The weights fall off, the connectors inside come undone. No way could you reliably use one for giving,.

I also had a Novation Sl mkii zero - which is just the controller part. Really didn't like the feel of it. Really clunky. Software didn't react very quickly. Used with Logic and reaper, just laggy.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Arturia is rapidly getting a rep for poorly-designed/made hardware. The Beatstep Pro has a USB connector that breaks with very little use.

(Can't answer on a controller, because every time I looked into getting one with a good keybed, I found that I could get a proper '90s synth for about the same price. So that's what I've always done.)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thought about getting a proper synth from a build quality perspective, but the DAW integration and the ability to control plugins/soft synths from the controller would be lovely.  Top of my list currently is the Akai Advance 61
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cme are basically the same ones used in the Motif and are pretty good
  • A lot of the older home keyboards like Casio  PGs and Yamaha ones have great midi implimentation but crap sounds and can be picked up for pence worth a look as long as your street buddies don't see it in your studio!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm not particularly looking for cheap, just somthing good.  Most controllers keyboards look like plastic toys