Taylor 100/200 opinions

What's Hot
Looking for my first quality acoustic. Want one that is easy to play, under a grand. Mostly strum with a little fingerpicking. I read that Taylors have a very playable thin neck with low action suited to electric guitar players. The 100 and 200 series interest me, especially the smaller body 114 or 214ce. 

I know that I should be trying lots of different guitars but the problem I have is I live far from any guitar shop and have limited opportunities to visit them, but I am loathe to buy an acoustic online without trying it.  I will be in London for one afternoon in May, and Chester/Liverpool/Manchester are within reach.

The low end Taylors seem to split opinion; some love em, others say they are over priced for a side and back laminated guitar.  Any advice or views on these? Can you recommend a decent shop to visit for acoustics?  Faith Venus also looks like a good alternative option. Thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven't played many but I had a 214 (non-c, non-e) for several years and it was brilliant. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy one soon - they're made in Mexico :)

They have laminated backs and sides ('layered' in Taylor speak) but the ones I've played have sounded good - albeit very 'Taylor-like'.

If you're a fan of their hi-fi/bright/clear tone, they're great. And they play superbly.

You should play a few others though, just to be sure you get on with their sound.
  • Buy one soon - they're made in Mexico :)

They have laminated backs and sides ('layered' in Taylor speak) but the ones I've played have sounded good - albeit very 'Taylor-like'.

If you're a fan of their hi-fi/bright/clear tone, they're great. And they play superbly.

You should play a few others though, just to be sure you get on with their sound.
    Yes; I read a lot about the bright Taylor sound vs warm Martin, but until I try them out I dont know what sound I prefer
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    They are nice guitars but imo the extra for a 3 series or above is worth it.  The solid wood back and sides makes a really noticeable improvement to the sound.  
  • I've played a 110 and quite liked it, I also owned a 414ce in the past which was a nice guitar but a bit neck heavy. I think if I was a buying a Taylor I'd go with Dreadnought (10) shape or the Grand Concert (12) and a full body not a cutaway.
    With your budget I'd go second hand, maybe a Taylor 3 series or a Martin 15 series.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    Maybe have a look at the used market? You could get a higher series Taylor and still keep the budget well under a grand
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I have a 110 and it's superb - got all that dreadnought power but with a top-end shimmer that only Taylor does. At the time it was the best-sounding acoustic in Anderton's (IMO of course) under £1k. The thing was it sounded even better than the other 110 they had in stock, and while Taylor is renowned for consistency, best to compare a few if you can.

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Bob Taylor makes amazing guitars . . . 100, 200 etc . . . All good
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Thanks all, need to get myself to a shop to try the various types and body shapes asap.  I see that Reidy's in Blackburn has a spanking new Taylor showroom, might be worth the 2.5 hour drive.

• Thanks all, need to get myself to a shop to try the various types and body shapes asap.  I see that Reidy's in Blackburn has a spanking new Taylor showroom, might be worth the 2.5 hour drive.

Yes, it's very nice and the last time I was in they were working on a Martin room,  speak to Richard a very helpful fella on the acoustic side.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    My dad has a 110 and it's a great guitar. Volume, power, bass and that Taylor top end. It compared well to my old 714 too, which I traded last year for Martin 00028
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2991
    edited March 2017
    How about the new Academy series? They are marketed as beginners guitars and are made to be super easy to play with a shorter scale length. I'm not a beginner (or perhaps I am in acoustic terms) but have not played much acoustic and want to learn fingerpicking etc. The A12e does interest me, looks nice and might be worth trying in my search for an acoustic. 9/10 in this months Guitarist mag.