Sample trigger pad for drummer.

Band's drummer wants to add some weird noises into some of our new songs, (big low end booms etc).

Any recommendations or insight, I've never looked into them.

It'll need to be pretty robust as he's an ape. And be able to hold a few pre-sets. And be fed direct to PA.

cheers :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I use a Roland SPD, you can record sounds directly into it via a CF card which is more useful than triggering internal gimmicky sounds. I record keys parts into mine and trigger them with my foot which makes a 3 piece band sound a lot bigger and there's no drop out under solo's. 

All the Roland SPD \ SPDX range are solidly built but I would recommend the older SPD rather than the newer SPDX simply because the newer one uses a micro SD card burried in it's guts to store the sounds where the older SPD takes a standard CF card which you can then backup
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Roland SPD's are the industry standard.
    Alesis do something called a Samplepad for half the price that also takes SD cards.
    There is a new Samplepad 4 coming that has (obviously) just 4 pads and will cost £150.
  • We've got an SPD which is giving up the ghost a bit now and half the pads trigger the neighbouring pad
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    We've got an SPD which is giving up the ghost a bit now and half the pads trigger the neighbouring pad
    I've fixed a couple of these and the reason this happens is the cables from the pads chaff against the chassis to ground and cause false triggers ... not a difficult  or expensive fix but you would have thought Roland could have give that area of it a little more fault

I tried the Alesis, it is cheaper but there's a file length limit which is a pain for some songs 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    We've got an SPD which is giving up the ghost a bit now and half the pads trigger the neighbouring pad
    I've fixed a couple of these and the reason this happens is the cables from the pads chaff against the chassis to ground and cause false triggers ... not a difficult  or expensive fix but you would have thought Roland could have give that area of it a little more fault

I tried the Alesis, it is cheaper but there's a file length limit which is a pain for some songs 
    ah cool, I've already taken the pads apart and removed wood splinters from drum sticks which helped for a bit. I'll have another look at the leads