What's the standard bass rig backup plan for gigs?

What's Hot
MrTMrT Frets: 21
You might see a pattern start emerging in my posts ... The new band is ready to get some gigs and I'm playing bass in this line up rather than guitar. I've a couple of decent basses so that's no problem for a gig worthy back up but what's the usual plan for fallback for amp problems?

Do people take 2 amps? DI into the PA as a backup? Sansamp bass driver? Lugging 2 amps around doesn't seem like much fun so the DI options seem much more appealing but will it be enough to get through a gig if the amp fails?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Di into PA is fine as long as PA is fairly decent in the low end. Some Pro bass players I've worked with don't use any amp at all .... just DI and in ear monitors

Sansamp is my favorite box for Di flavour, the rack mount version we have is superb
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Or you could go with one of the many pre amp DI - like darkglass or Mesa. Small and easy to fit in a gig bag pocket, and not too pricey - and you can actually use them in your usual rig too ;)
  • DI. 

Bugger carrying a spare bass amp around. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Zoom B3 or Zoom B1XOn are good to the PA especially the B3 as is something like the Sansamp.

I currently have a Gallien Krueger MB200 (200 watt) head that's as weeny as a small DVD player and weighs 2lbs and you can take a DI to the PA from that (err..currently up for sale on the Classifieds).

These things fit into your gigbag and offer a great back up.
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    I like the DI idea - that was my favoured route.  I'll be on the look out for a sansamp or something similar. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    I have a Darkglass VMT Deluxe on my board as back up.

I don't really need it as my proper rig has 2 always on amps anyway.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I have a Sansamp VT bass for sale as I'm no longer gigging on bass.

That was my backup.
  • I carry a Hartke DI in my case at all times.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    DI.    I have a mini board using an amplifire that use as a backup rig for guitar or bass gigs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Just a straight Di is fine and in many cases is what will be fed to the PA anyway.

The Behringer clone of the SansAmp, the BDI-21,  is surprisingly good for a cheap backup. Some chaps on TalkBass did a set of clips for a blind comparison a few years back and nobody could consistently tell them apart.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I just DI- using a Peterson tuner with an XLR output.
  • I have a zoom ms60b which I use as a tuner/octaver/synth/preamp/cab SIM.. all in one boss sized pedal. Ok it's not a DI but it's great  sounding and an go straight to desk when required! It also has 2 outputs so one can go straight to amp and the other to the desk (or a di then desk) if you ever needed it!

Best bit of kit I've ever bought! A couple of the preamps are amazing! The synth is limited but tracks like a dream. Octaver is passable.
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    Cheers all - I actually remembered I've got a Bass Pod sat in the cupboard which will probably do for the short term. The sansamp stuff and tonehammer look pretty good options to me though. 

That said, the behringer is tempting - I have one of their similar acoustic pedals which I use to DI the banjo but the build quality does seem to be reflected in the price.