Finished Pics! 4 string electric? Piccolo bass? Pete's next build

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    eSully said:
    Lovely work @Andyjr1515 - Love these thread. I think a gloss finish would look great on that.
    Thanks! :)

Yes - I think definitely gloss.  You get a better idea of the overall colour tone here - but gloss would really bring out the quilting that you can start to see in daylight is everywhere:

I think I may need to rethink the hardware colour.  It was originally intended to be black, but I think it needs a bit of lift and contrast.  I will experiment with some bits and pieces I have in my bits box.  Maybe chrome, but would gold/brass be too bling?

The back has darkened nicely, too:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Well, I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure...

To varnish or not to varnish. 

While I KNOW that the colour absolutely pops out when you gloss varnish a wood like this, there is NOTHING, SIMPLY NOTHING like the organic feel of a @WezV method tru-oil slurry and buffed piece of wood. Silky smooth to the touch but undoubtedly wood, deep satin in colour tone.

Here it is, photo'd in the shade, after two applications:

..and in the sunshine:

The neck is going to be this finish whatever, but, I don't know...very tempted to forgo that extra bit of bling of a gloss finish.  Mind you, I've decided on the hardware...and yes, I'm going to go for gold after all

The neck is almost done - I do the final shaping once the strings are on - with just a bit of tidying up to do in one or two places:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just noticed that I started this thread in early Feb. I can't believe that, barring late disasters, this is within a few days or so of being finished!

Some of that is because Pete specifically wants the tactile slurry and buffed satin finished rather than a gloss, which would have added at least 3 weeks. I'm actually more than happy with that aesthetically as well as the silky feel of it, having had a sunny day at last so I can see what it actually looks like!

I'm waiting for some hardware, but sorted the magnetic catches while I was waiting:

And also for the truss-rod cover - worked well on the recent Mouradian-esque build, so I thought I'd try it on this too:

I'm out tomorrow but will try to do the fret-levelling on Wednesday. For the build itself, that just leaves a possible tweak on the volute - it's in the perfect position for the treble strings but, because of the rake, might be a touch too forward for the bass side. I won't know for sure until I've got the strings fitted and been able to try it for real...again hopefully Wednesday. :) 

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Looking lovely, have you put tru-oil and buffed the fretboard too?
    eSully said:
    Looking lovely, have you put tru-oil and buffed the fretboard too?
    Yes.  I've done that on a number of recent builds and it seems to work well :)

Someone on one of the other forums was asking about the body profile on this.  

Here it is:

I've done variations of this idea on a number of builds, including my own bubinga fretless.  There are some limits, and there are some areas you need to be careful about, but it:

• Takes a useful amount of weight out
    • Feels great to play.  Rests on the paunch very nicely ;)
    • It allows a much slimmer neck heel:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Good call on the finish. Gloss would have been a bit too bling. A natural satin sheen will be much nicer imo. Hardware is a tough call - black will be too dull, gold too bling, which leaves chrome silver or nickel. It looks ever more beautiful as it nears completion. Colour me envious.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Another fabulous effort Andy, the Satin finish really suits it, chrome or nickel would be my choice.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I'd go with something less blingy than gold and not chrome, either. I'd want something that also has a  satin finish to match the wood finish.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Flipping heck a beauty ! B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Brass or copper hardware would look great.  Put a penny on top and see if it works.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts, folks.  

As Baldric might say, "I have a cunning plan...."  I'll take some photos in the morning.  For those old enough...think John Player Special ;)
    Black and Gold?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Black and Gold?
    I couldn't possibly comment.  You, on the other hand, might think that ;)
    edited March 2017
    Well, now that I think about it, all black would be too dull, gold to blingy, (I dislike gold hardware on any guitar, I think it looks cheap) however a combination of the two could look bloody good......something like gold bridge base/black saddles, gold tuners/black buttons and ferrules......etc....

Anyroadup....back to the plot.....

paulnb57 said:
    Well, now that I think about it, all black would be too dull, gold to blingy, (I dislike gold hardware on any guitar, I think it looks cheap) however a combination of the two could look bloody good......something like gold bridge base/black saddles, gold tuners/black buttons and ferrules......etc....

Anyroadup....back to the plot.....
    I'll take photos as soon as the low-cloud gloom allows but yes, very close.  Like you, I am never sure about gold but:

• The gold tuners actually look MUCH better than either chrome or black.  I think it tones in with the colour of the walnut which is why it looks right.  I've toyed with using the black ferrules, but I'm not sure it doesn't look Like it's trying too hard
    • The gold pickup ring looks absolutely right against the wood and the black coolrails tones it down rather than blings the contrast
    • The black bridge units look dull and out of place with the gold pickup ring
    • The gold bridge units look far, far too bling and makes the whole thing look cheap
    • Swopping the saddles and putting in the gold saddle blocks into the black bridge units looks pretty special and tones down the bling

Sounds good to me.....

I'm thinking something along these lines - 

What do you reckon?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Like the bridge, but not the pickup surround......would black with gold screws be enough to keep the theme going?

However I am the worlds biggest gold harware hater!

Edit, Random thought, the pickup ring looks a bit odd against the curve of the fretboard end, how would it look reversed?........ probably bloody awful!?

paulnb57 said:
    Like the bridge, but not the pickup surround......would black with gold screws be enough to keep the theme going?

However I am the worlds biggest gold harware hater!

Edit, Random thought, the pickup ring looks a bit odd against the curve of the fretboard end, how would it look reversed?........ probably bloody awful!?
    I know what you mean - gold isn't my favourite either.  One change I'm going to try (I post photo when the domestic duties have been dutifully completed ;) is your earlier thought of black tuners with a gold ferrule rather than the other way round.

I'm going to try gold screws for the bridges, so can also try black p/up ring with gold screws (or vice versa) to see what that looks like.