Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So - will I regret it if I buy a Helix?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I'm kind of getting to the point where I don't think I can get the Pod HD500X to sound good enough and I'm seriously thinking about selling some kit and forking out for a Helix. But before I do...is it really  that much of a step up from the HD modelling? Will I be able to use the amp models live with minimal tweaking or will I spend the entire time buried in menus trying to get it to sound realistic and never quite succeeding (as I have been with the HD)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    There's only 1 person who can answer that.

But I'm loving mine.
  • I've not played a Helix but I owned a HD500X and the Helix clips I've heard sound noticeably better.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Find someone local with a Helix, bribe them with hobnobs and have a proper sit down with it. The Helix is only half of the jigsaw, how are you going to aamplify it ? FOH or through an amp with FRFR cabs 
  • There's only 1 person who can answer that.
    ICBM?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I spent about an hour on one last summer....and it was good. If they'd have had the floor version in stock I'd have bought one there and then. But gladly they didn't. So I came  out cooled down and then watched a few vids comparing with a Pod HD and the amp models sound very much alike to my cloth ears! So now I'm like maybe when they're cheap as chips and the new latest greatest comes out I might bite....

• Yeah it's videos like that one that make me wonder if it's worth it. Hard to tell from YT I guess though.
  • The evidence - ie lots of them have been sold and even less appear on the second hand market than Fractal gear - suggests that they're a very pleasing piece of gear.

For more evidence, consider the fact Drew's has lasted longer with him than any digital modeller yet, and he's showing no signs of wanting to give it up...in fact, he's now thinking about getting Helix Native to go with it.
    <space for hire>
  • I'm probably going to go full-Helix this week. I'll let you know but I find it hard to believe I won't move it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28143
    is it really  that much of a step up from the HD modelling? Will I be able to use the amp models live with minimal tweaking or will I spend the entire time buried in menus trying to get it to sound realistic and never quite succeeding (as I have been with the HD)?
    It is a huge step up in terms of quality and ease of use from the HD500X. And the interface is brilliant - if you do need to tweak then it's very flat, no menus.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    is it really  that much of a step up from the HD modelling? Will I be able to use the amp models live with minimal tweaking or will I spend the entire time buried in menus trying to get it to sound realistic and never quite succeeding (as I have been with the HD)?
    It is a huge step up in terms of quality and ease of use from the HD500X. And the interface is brilliant - if you do need to tweak then it's very flat, no menus.
    But in terms of tone?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28143
    Ah - by 'quality' I meant sound quality - sorry that wasn't clear.

Much quicker to get a really good sound too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sporky said:
    But in terms of tone?
    Ok so I've become a 4 string leper these days, but the Helix Ampeg models - like the SVT and the B15 - well, I keep a small box of tissues near the helix to mop up the excess tone that leaks out...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Of course you will only get out what you are able to program in... and if you can't hear the difference then what's the point. That said judging via YT is not the best idea. I love my helix.  Had it coming up to a year now and not sure what I'd do with out it. I don't use it live though. 
  • Of course you will only get out what you are able to program in... and if you can't hear the difference then what's the point.
    You mean in the above video? I can hear a difference but both sound good. I know though that the HD500X doesn't sound all that convincing in the flesh the way I want to use it (through a power amp into a guitar cab at live volume) so if the Helix is just subtly different then I'd be bummed having spent over a grand on it. It would have to be a completely different beast.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2017

If I was you I'd not buy one without trying out first.....I was impressed but at no point did I think "I can't even tell this is digital" at all times whilst it was great I knew I was playing a digital modeller - a great one granted, but it didn't make me go this sounds so real. But no digital gear ever does that and may never. Probably the sound that you'd hear in the control room maybe, just not the sound you hear stood in front of an amp and pedals IMO. I'd still have one though if the price was right! Go to your closest decent music shop and play around with one and compare with a HD500X. I can totally believe what they said above re the worlds bestest/easiest interface and that alone counts for a lot.  

Buy without trying and it could be an expensive regret. It might not be of course but for the sake of trying first - you know it makes sense!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought one and returned it 48 hours later.
    Good sounds, but decided I can't enjoy programming for sound and also I am missing simple pedals and analog amps. Heading to Coda Music on Tuesday for an amp instead.
    Sure it is great but not for me!! Jon

• The evidence - ie lots of them have been sold and even less appear on the second hand market than Fractal gear - suggests that they're a very pleasing piece of gear.

For more evidence, consider the fact Drew's has lasted longer with him than any digital modeller yet, and he's showing no signs of wanting to give it up...in fact, he's now thinking about getting Helix Native to go with it.
    In fairness the Axe FX 2 is about 6 years old at this point, and many AX8/FX8 users aren't new to Fractal either. There will be plenty of used Helix units in another couple of years.
    guitarfishbay said:

There will be plenty of used Helix units in another couple of years.
    Presumably when Helix 2 is out....
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Sporky said:
    I've seen a bunch of youtube videos that have proven that is not at all flat, it is in-fact round, like a globe.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Zodiac51 said:
    Sporky said:
    I've seen a bunch of youtube videos that have proven that is not at all flat, it is in-fact round, like a globe.
    Fake news.

*QI style alarm goes off*