Best Treble Bleed For Stratocaster?

What's Hot
Hey everyone, I have a Strat (SSS, it's relatively hot, I can't remember the values but they're significantly hotter than the custom shop 69s I have in a different strat) with 250k pots, my problem is that it sounds amazing until I touch the volume control, all the treble disappears and instead of the gorgeous chime I get with a light overdrive it's just a muddy mess, I've been looking into treble bleeds and now I'm scratching my head, I've seen three different treble bleed circuits, they all seem really simple to install 
1. Seymour Duncan which is a 0.002mf cap wired in parallel with a 100k 1/4 watt resistor
2. Kinman which is a 0,0012mf cap wired in series with a 130k 1/4 watt resistor
3. which is just a 0.001mf cap 
does anyone have any idea which one would give me the best results, I'm looking to change the sound as little as possible when the volume pot is at 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) (I would try them all but I'm the kind of person who is guaranteed to break something) :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I liked the series setup better on mine but used a bigger resistor. Had some wire off the pot so i could lift the plate and experiment with different values without having to move anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I really like the Kinman design which preserves a good taper on the volume control.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I like the Kinman too
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    1nF capacitor and 120k resistor in parallel

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5317/treble-bleed-circuit
  • Thanks a lot everyone, really helpful. which would you say has the most even roll off? I've seen some demo's with a tele and when he rolls down the volume control it's unbearably bright
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited February 2017
    I think that it's something that you need to experiment with because ultimately the frequency response is going to be influenced by your pickup impedance and the impedance of the guitar cable that you are using. You definitely want to follow the parallel cap / resistor approach.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Definitely a case of finding what values suit your taste and pickups. I try them clean and with a drive pedal that responds to the vol pot, and a fuzz face type. I have the iron set up and try stuff by the amp. Having the fly leads poking out under the scratchplate makes swapping quick. At next string change you can lose the leads and solder direct to the pot if you like.
    At somewhere like Bitsbox you can get small amounts of caps & resistors, I'd say get caps a bit either side of 1nf and resistors 130-220k, it'll cost very little. And small-bore heatshrink if you do the fly lead thing.
    Series or scheme parallel is a matter of preference, easy to try each one out.

• Ok then, I'll give that a try, thanks a lot everyone :)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    edited February 2018
    I really like the Kinman design which preserves a good taper on the volume control.
     I would agree completely with that. The mods  which involve a  resistor and capacitor connected in parallel  really mess with the taper of the volume control. The Kinman (Capacitor and resistor in series)  preserves this taper very nicely. 
     I have found that different values apply if you using cables of different lengths (which of course then have different capacitance values). The pot values also matter.

For a cable measuring 3m here are the values that I have found work beautifully.

680pf Capacitor

in series with

150kOhm resistor for 250K pots

270kOhm resistor for 500K pots
  • You could try the 50s wiring mod, which achieves more or less the same thing, only without any caps or resistors. You just have to move a couple of wires. I have this setup on my Strat.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Gibson_50s_wiring_on_a_Stratocaster

You could try the 50s wiring mod, which achieves more or less the same thing, only without any caps or resistors. You just have to move a couple of wires. I have this setup on my Strat.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Gibson_50s_wiring_on_a_Stratocaster

That’s really interesting...I must try that 
    edited July 2018
    Having said all that I played a good strat recently with a particularly nice set of Mojo Alnico 5/3 single coils - and no treble bleed.

The slightly warmer sounds with the volume control between 5 and 7 were to die for...just beautiful.