Sandberg - eh?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Paul_C said:
    Sporky said:
    When will people learn not to bother with basses that aren't Precisions?
    Listen to no other remarks @Sporky speaks the truth. 
    Ah you speak my language ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    My bassist has a Sandberg. I guess the thing is, there are so many options with them in terms of customization that I think it'd be hard to pass a blanket judgement on the company. The one he has is brilliant - low action, good neck, nice consistent tone all the way up the frets. I agree with @Winny_Pooh that the active electronics are quite modern sounding - I'd say the sound is deep and clear.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    axisus said:
    I was dead keen on a Sandberg relic a few years ago - came VERY close. Not new, but 2nd hand. 
    What put you off?
    The beauty that I wanted got sold! (still have the pix). To be honest I was a bit on the wane with bass playing and wasn't sure if I wanted to sink a ton of money into another. I bought a cheap Squier and relic'd it, and that became my go to bass.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I had a chat with the guy on the Sandberg stand for five minutes, saying lovely things about them. I wasn't offered a go at the end of that so I thought bollocks to 'em. 
    Yeah - the Sandberg stand looked very sniffy.. I didn't see anyone playing on there at any point in time
    That's OK, the Mark Bass guys were playing loud enough for everyone.
    yes, we had words

They were actually blown away with the response from the visitors, I think they got a little excited, booked already for 2018
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • grayngrayn Frets: 870
    I've owned most top end basses and rate Sanberg up there, with the best of them.
    Brilliant necks and superb pickups.
    Never played a bad one and I've played quite a few.
    I don't have any doubt that a good majority of Sandbergs are great. It's just that the one I played on Saturday was, um, crap frankly. 

It's good to know that it was probably just a dog and not indicative of the usual. 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 870
    I don't have any doubt that a good majority of Sandbergs are great. It's just that the one I played on Saturday was, um, crap frankly. 

It's good to know that it was probably just a dog and not indicative of the usual. 
    I remember playing a really poor but expensive Taylor acoustic, some years ago and it put me off them for years.
    It always helps if you're buying from someone you like, too.
    Not some tit on a stand, at a show, who should know better.
  • I was stood near their stand when they were demoing, the sound was so bad I walked away. 
    I was stood near their stand when they were demoing, the sound was so bad I walked away. 
    Which stand was that?
  • Sandberg opposite Gryphin and Sims stands. 
    Sandberg opposite Gryphin and Sims stands. 
    Ah yes, that was the 'you can listen but you can't play' stand...
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Finding this quite surprising. Traded one of my pair of Stingrays for a Sandberg JM4, getting on towards ten years ago. Completely killed any cravings for a new bass. Barely touch my 'ray now. I've had it with flats on and played it in passive mode in an Americana band, played balls out heavy rock with it, it does all of my function gigs, with the soul band and the noisier rock stuff. Can't speak highly enough of the playability, tone and the flexibility of the electronics. Sounds like you definitely got your hands on a dud.
    mike257 said:
    Finding this quite surprising. Traded one of my pair of Stingrays for a Sandberg JM4, getting on towards ten years ago. Completely killed any cravings for a new bass. Barely touch my 'ray now. I've had it with flats on and played it in passive mode in an Americana band, played balls out heavy rock with it, it does all of my function gigs, with the soul band and the noisier rock stuff. Can't speak highly enough of the playability, tone and the flexibility of the electronics. Sounds like you definitely got your hands on a dud.
    I'm thinking so too. I've played a lot of basses recently - and this was by far the worse..
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I'm looking at my Sandberg now saying 'There there; he doesn't mean you. You're just wonderful...'

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I went down to Bass Direct to try mine out & A/B'd it with a few other guitars & it really stood out as being so much better than the rest.
    I'm going to try more. Once I'm back in the market to add to the collection. I have no doubt I will find a really good one.. this thread will get updated when I do!