RotM #31 - Voting (Until 4th March)

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited February 2017 in Making Music
Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Riff of the Month #31

Voting closes on the 4th March at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/thefretboard-riff-challenge-30
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited February 2017
    5 points @steamabacus : Nice laid back reggae feel. Lovey guitar tone that floats along. Only minor point is that I'm not too keen on the Hi Hat sound on the right of the mix. I would have preferred a thinner more wispy sound in keeping with the ride cymbal.

3 points @JudasVigilante : Interesting and experimental.

1 point @DulcetJones : It's good how you keep a consistent spook style through many of your entries.
    It's not a competition.
  • 5pts @stratman3142 Anyone who enters a guitar riff competition with synths and then names the song Double D defo deserves 5 pts. Oh! Love the riffing too!

3pts @DulcetJones Really like this riff a lot, kinda sombre. Can I get this played at my funeral?

1pt @steamabacus not really into that reggae kinda beat thing, but this pretty good. Love love love the production on it though. Hope you're good @steamabacus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Tough call, but

5 points to @steamabacus ; - lovely reggae vibe and delay heavy guitar riff

3 points to @stratman3142 ; - cool Jan Hammer/Miami Vice vibe going on there

1 point to @JudasVigilante - loved the ambient riff and the cool noises

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    5 Points - @JudasVigilante 

3 Points - 
    @steamabacus ;

1 Point - @stratman3142 ;

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited March 2017
    5 points  @JudasVigilante  ;; Absolutely bonkers - but in a good way.

3 points  @DulcetJones  ;; It's behing you!!!

1 point  @Stratman3142  ;; That's a very unusual tone for a strat - new pickups?

By the way, thanks for the production comments on mine - all done very quickly with a preset drum loop (which I think I created from Future Music audio samples about 10 years ago) on a looper pedal and the guitars just looped on top.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    5 Points @steamabacus  Great groove going on there

3 Points @stratman3142 It's 1984 again, seriously cool sounds happening there

1 Point @DulcetJones  Nice entry from "The Oligarch of Dark" :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • @steamabacus Absolutely bonkers you say! That's probably the best compliment I've ever had about my guitar playing. And coming from such a talent as you, I'm well chuffed. Thanks. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    1 point @DulcetJones : It's good how you keep a consistent spook style through many of your entries.

3pts @DulcetJones Really like this riff a lot, kinda sombre. Can I get this played at my funeral?

Thanks all, it just kind of happens.  I wasn't aware of it until my Daughter told me everything I play sounds spooky.   Maybe there's a doctor that could help me, except I like it and don't want to(or can't) stop.  I do write some "non spooky" music, sometimes....a little bit...like short bursts....like my RawROT entry.....(that one isn't spooky?  Is it?) 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    5pts @steamabacus I'm not into reggae but this was top notch in terms of playing and production

3pts @stratman3142 so not only are you an excellent guitarist you play a mean keyboard riff too, classic 80s vibe

1pt @DulcetJones you've got a clearly identifiable style and niche that you've made all your own which, although is not my thing, you have totally nailed 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited March 2017
    ...Anyone who enters a guitar riff competition with synths and then names the song Double D defo deserves 5 pts. Oh! Love the riffing too!
    The boring reason I came up with the idea of the title was because I used two instances of u-he Diva VSTi, which I got as an Xmas present for myself.
    Fretwired said:
    ... cool Jan Hammer/Miami Vice vibe going on there

That's good to know because it's main reason I got Diva. I loved the Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck collaborations.

mellowsun said:
    ... you play a mean keyboard riff too, classic 80s vibe
    Not really. There was a bit of post editing (cheating) using the Reaper midi grid to tighten things up. But I'm trying to learn keyboards.

It's not a competition.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

3pts @DulcetJones Really like this riff a lot, kinda sombre. Can I get this played at my funeral?

Thanks all, it just kind of happens.  I wasn't aware of it until my Daughter told me everything I play sounds spooky.   Maybe there's a doctor that could help me, except I like it and don't want to(or can't) stop.  I do write some "non spooky" music, sometimes....a little bit...like short bursts....like my RawROT entry.....(that one isn't spooky?  Is it?) 

I remember you mentioning this @DulcetJones  No need for a cure, it's just expression. I did like that Raw Riff of yours too, you have good fingerstyle technique. Mine is mostly non existent ;( 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    5 points @JudasVigilante ;
    3 points @stratman3142 ;
    1 point @DulcetJones ;
  • voting closed
    Old Is Gold