Best budget XLR cable

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
As title after something cheap but also reliable ,Thommann best bet ?.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It's not something I'd scrimp on tbh. It's worth paying a bit extra for a decent VanDamme cable with Neutrik connectors. There's plenty of eBay sellers that will make them up for 15-20 quid 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The extra money for van Damme/Neutrik is probably worth it. Having said that our PA bag is full of Stagg XLRs... and they're fine. Good value and they're lasting well.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2017
    I've got a load of stagg ones and the XLRs are ever so slightly mis-sized. They fit but they're a bit tight for my liking.

Another vote for van damme/Neutrik. Designacable are good to order from, lots of options.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    edited March 2017
    For signal cable running standard balanced line the quality almost doesn't matter because the differential/balance aspect sorts it out. But for durability and reliability you get what you pay for. If it's patch leads inside a rack you can get away with cheap, anywhere that wear and tear applies get the best you can afford.
    For connectors - only Neutrik, the cost difference is insignificant until you are talking dozenz, and dozens implies you have a large sohisticated system so why have that and skimp on creating a weakest link!

Edit - Also learn how to coil cables and treat them with respect, then brain anyone that messes with your cables, that way they last, lay flat and uncoil easily every time.
  • +1 for Neutrik's as for cable I tend to buy a drum and make em myself if you need a few its the best and cheapest option. Quick word about cables, they break most when you just shove them into your bag, properly coil them at the end of each gig and tape them up you'll be amazed how long they last even the cheap ones!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • rewolf48rewolf48 Frets: 7
    I have a load of Stagg ones bought off Amazon10m, 6m and 3m that are all working fine but we do take care of our gear because, well its our gear and as an originals band we don't earn enough from gigs to cover costs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    rewolf48 said:
    I have a load of Stagg ones bought off Amazon10m, 6m and 3m that are all working fine but we do take care of our gear because, well its our gear and as an originals band we don't earn enough from gigs to cover costs
    Thanks everyone  just ordered a stagg one its only for jam sessions round my mates house 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
     Designacable are good to order from, lots of options.

That's a handy website - Thanks
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    I had a cordial one from thomann die on me so now I've gone the designacable route. I would have tried the No Bull cables with their colour options but they didn't ship with Prime delivery from amazon. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I got some XLR-XLR from an ebay seller for £2 a pop. They don't feel too substantial but should do my job.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've got a load of bluearan.co.uk own brand ones, had nearly 30 of them out on gigs and hires week in week out for over two years and only had one fault. Quality of the terminations is fine, they're as well put together as you could ask for at the price. They do them in multipacks and I think a dozen 5m cables is currently about £40. Great value.