Studio monitors for guitar - ear fatigue and volume questions

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
edited March 2017 in Studio & Recording
So I've been using a pair of Adam A5X's for the best part of 8 months now. I have a reactive load box and use a Torpedo CAB to send my amplifier's signal to an interface and then to the monitors...so the ONLY way I hear my guitar, and practice, is through those monitors. 

They are ear height, or at least are pointed in the direction of my ears. Over the last year, since trying out new things with headphones and the monitors, I've developed tinnitus in my left ear and feel at times that my right ear loses the ability to make out low frequencies and I partially lose hearing in that ear from time to time for various lengths of time. My hearing is definitely deteriorating...and it's never been great!

I never had this problem when playing with a real speaker cab as it was down low on the floor. So I'm thinking of going FRFR on the floor instead of the monitors. But is there any way to tackle ear fatigue or protect my hearing? I've tried ear plugs and I can't bear to use them. How do you guys tackle them?

Secondly, if I use my FRFR speaker on the floor, it's loud and doesn't do zero volume - it's a Friedman FRFR cab, is there a way to control the volume from my last pedal before it goes to the speaker...I don't want to use a volume pedal, I want to keep the entire frequency range, I just want to control the volume. Will a monitor controller work? Or is there a better way?

Many thanks
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How loud are you listening? You could be listening too loud, really for doing long hours you should be playing fairly quietly. If you feel you need earplugs at home that's almost definitely too loud.

It's also very easy to listen too loud on headphones... volume is fun after all! 
  • @guitarfishbay maybe I'm playing too loud, yes. But as you know, it's a vicious circle...play loud because fatigye blurs the senses and you feel you need volume to help bring clarity...and the cycle continues.

The perception of good tone comes with volume.

You're absolutely right though. Maybe just turning the volume down permanently will help matters.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It could also be a build up of wax. You will produce extra wax when you expose yourself to constant sound. I have found that bleach- or olive oil-based ear-drops give better results. Of course, removing wax will made the sound louder and increase deafness.

I never really had tinnitus for more than three days at a stretch, but at the time I was using a standard Metal Zone for 40+ hours a week including three hours standing a foot  away from a Marshall stack, it felt like I had a dagger lodged in my left ear.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It could also be a build up of wax. You will produce extra wax when you expose yourself to constant sound. I have found that bleach- or olive oil-based ear-drops give better results. Of course, removing wax will made the sound louder and increase deafness.

I never really had tinnitus for more than three days at a stretch, but at the time I was using a standard Metal Zone for 40+ hours a week including three hours standing a foot  away from a Marshall stack, it felt like I had a dagger lodged in my left ear.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2017
    Turning down will definitely help.

If you are finding the tweeters on your speakers too aggressive for you then by all means turn them down to taste. I think those speakers have adjustments on the back. 

You could also also go to your GP who can check your ears for wax and refer to audiology for a hearing test. You need to be clear of wax before you go but they'll arrange removal as necessary.
  • Ogami-ZOgami-Z Frets: 6
    This is exactly how I listen while playing out of the time, with a line out of my load box > Soundcard > Mac > Adam A5X monitors.

I know it's sometimes hard to especially late at night but I'd try to avoid playing with headphones as much as possible. It's actually pretty hard to judge just how loud your actually listening at & you can tend to turn up. definitely not good for the ears.

Your much less likely to damage your hearing while listening with your monitors, especially if you use an SPL meter or SPL meter app for your phone & try not to play over 80 to 90db, this will probably have to be much lower for late evening neighbour friendly levels.