Comments

• SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Just because nobody has replied doesn't mean we don't care.

I haven't a clue what can help. But if your solution works for you, i hope it works until somebody else can chip in. Don't keep your headphones too loud, as that may not help long-term.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    edited March 2017
    No you are not unique at all in the tinitus zone. I stopped fronting a band and joined a more acoustic based alt-country outfit as a result, I'd had it since I was 17 and had blasted through it until it became absolutely unbearable at 30. I have however found that a sympathetic drummer helps too, though these are harder to find.

Good luck with finding a solution, I'll be interested to know the outcome as I may well borrow it! 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited March 2017
    The cheapest solution by far is a pair of ER-20 on a cord.  For me, having the cord makes all the difference because it's easy in, easy out.  The ER-20's take off at least 12dB which should be more than sufficient for adequate protection.  And the current drummer I'm with is great cos he always waits till I give him a little signal that I'm good to go.  I hadn't actually consciously realised we do this till I started thinking about it.  But it literally only takes a couple of seconds.

I'm guessing the Paul Gilbert-style wireless isolation headphones can't be cheap because you'd need a transmitter too, and by the time you've done that it's relatively little extra to stick a mic in front of your amp and either have its own little mixer (about £30) if you only want it as back line or, better still, take your headphone mix from the main desk.and have your guitar out in the PA too.  
    Scratch all that!  I've just seen he has his headphones on a big long f*ck-off cable!  That's mental!  I haven't even got a cable on my guitar. 

edited June 2017
  • I have stepped away from bigger band work for this reason, lost all frequencies above 3k so about a third of my hearing, now have hearing aids for life! believe me look after your ears, I am investing in some ACS Live plugs, they have mics built in so basically ambient monitoring that you can turn down.... certainly not a cheap option though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I think I might have figured this out. Though it might not be the most efficient way I think it might get the job done.

The guitar goes into a multi-effects with stereo output, with one side going to the front of my amp and another going into a set of isolation headphones. Like this...

Guitar > Multi-effects L > Amp
                                                       R > Isolation Headphones

I'll lose the ability to use the effects loop and also have to make sure that the sounds I'm using from the multi-effects aren't in stereo but I guess that is just going to have to be the trade-off for now.

Anyone that has got any better ideas or suggestions it'd be great to hear them.
    I'm not convinced this is a great solution, for a couple of reasons. First, the stereo output on your multi-FX won't drive headphones directly -- you'd need a headphone amp. Second, what you'd be hearing would be very different from what everyone else is hearing, because it would be coming direct off the FX unit and not through the amp.

If I were you, I'd just put a mic in front of the amp, run it into a small mixer with a headphone output and listen to that.
    edited June 2017
    edited June 2017
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    In ear monitors with a limiter in line so you don't get your eardrums blown out.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    @Danny1969 builds quite a nice solution for this
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    Earpeace plugs?