Hand level or at an angle for soloing?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited March 2017 in Technique
Been looking at my left hand recently and Ive noticed that if I play in my "Traditional" way that it kinda bunchs in to the left and means Im limited in doing runs down the neck so Im looking at the way I play again. I think I need to re-educate my left hand to be more "level" with the neck. 

So when I say more level, its the old Martin Goulding adage (when talking about legato) of having a metal bar between my hand and neck which keeps the hand from the underside of the neck. 

I know theres no right or wrong but the new way seems to be better? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    I went through this years ago. I noticed other players had their hands at an angle and my own was very straight, so focused on it for a bit.
    I tend to play the higher strings with the hand at an angle now and graduate to a flatter position as i get to the lower strings (these are harder to reach with the hand angled).
    I find it more comfortable, but as well as that it gives you room to rotate your wrist/hand towards the even position for bending and vibrato. Otherwise you'd have to perform a bend with your fingers, which is not the ideal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom