Collaboration Conflicts

What's Hot
gnrfreekgnrfreek Frets: 0
edited March 2017 in Making Music
Hey guys! 

I'm a guitarist, rocker and love getting high on the rush you get when going to a gig! 
I am also a UX Design Master's student.

I am conducting a research, with the ultimate goal of helping musicians collaborate. To achieve this, I first need to understand where issues and conflicts arise. So I would like to involve you guys 

This is a completely open conversation. I am interested in any experience you might have had as collaborating musicians. There are only four things in addition I would be greateful if you could specify:

1. Are you a hobbyist or professional musician? Professional would be defined as someone who makes a living through music in this case. 
2. What were the circumstance, ie.: a band rehearsing, online collaboration, jamming, etc.. 
3. What conflicts did you encounter when collaborating with other musicians?
4. What do you think caused the problem and how did you resolve it?

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 996
    edited March 2017
    1. Professional
    2. A band recording mainly
    3. The question of who was the leader.
    4. Writing partner's new Japanese wife. He left the band, but I beat him to the press announcement, which annoyed him a little.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    1. Professional
    2. A Band recording and large festivals mainly.
    3. Publishing disputes.
    4. Band members stopped contributing quite so freely to my songs. I left the band and started writing music for films.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited March 2017
    gnrfreek said:
    I am interested in any experience you might have had as collaborating musicians....

1. Are you a hobbyist or professional musician? Professional would be defined as someone who makes a living through music in this case. 
    2. What were the circumstance, ie.: a band rehearsing, online collaboration, jamming, etc.. 

Cheers 
    1.  Semi-professional.  I.e I make half a living through music.
    2.  Two phases:  younger, originals bands = massive conflicts.  Older, covers bands = minimal conflicts.
    3.  Originals = song writing conflicts and LAZINESS.  But I'd never have admitted that at the time.  Too much ego, not enough talent, just shocking tbh.   Covers = let's earn some money, don't worry about content, just about quality and delivery.  No problems.  (Almost no problems; singer problems but there are always singer problems.)
    4.  Originals:  the problem was lack of experience and unprofessional attitudes.  Problems were dealt with by sulking.  Sulking is not a way of resolving problems.   Covers:  Driven by clear goals.  Conflicts have been resolved by sacking drummers.
  • gnrfreekgnrfreek Frets: 0
    Great stuff guys, thanks for sharing. 

I am still accepting replies, so if anyone wants to they are still welcome to share their experiences!  =)
  • gnrfreekgnrfreek Frets: 0
    Grunfeld said:
    gnrfreek said:
    I am interested in any experience you might have had as collaborating musicians....

Cheers 
    1.  Semi-professional.  I.e I make half a living through music.
    2.  Two phases:  younger, originals bands = massive conflicts.  Older, covers bands = minimal conflicts.
    3.  Originals = song writing conflicts and LAZINESS.  But I'd never have admitted that at the time.  Too much ego, not enough talent, just shocking tbh.   Covers = let's earn some money, don't worry about content, just about quality and delivery.  No problems.  (Almost no problems; singer problems but there are always singer problems.)
    4.  Originals:  the problem was lack of experience and unprofessional attitudes.  Problems were dealt with by sulking.  Sulking is not a way of resolving problems.   Covers:  Driven by clear goals.  Conflicts have been resolved by sacking drummers.
    @Grunfeld ;
    You mentioned "... there are always singer problems." - could you elaborate on this please? 

Also when you sacked the drummers, what were the problems with the drummers?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    1. Semi Professional - part of my income is from guitar playing
    2. Originals - conflicts, covers very few conflicts
    3. Lazyness, Time keeping, dedication, ability, money, lack of time.
    4. Generally the problem gets pointed out, and then if it keeps repeating someone leaves. Rinse and repeat. finding 3 or 4 like minded, dedicate individuals with ability is hard work.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited March 2017
    Singers.  If a singer doesn’t play an instrument and has no musical background then communication is the issue.  They haven’t got the language to describe what they want and they can’t understand what you’re saying to them.  For example,  
    Singer, to guitarist: “it needs more… throb.”
    “Throb?”
    “Yeah, throb.” [singer does a pantomime gesture of… wtf, I dunno, peeling a potato?]
    I play exactly the same thing but think Johnny Ramone: legs wide, look the singer in the eye… peel a potato].
    “Yeah that’s it!”
    Did he just back down?  Or did I just nail “throb”?  Who knows.

It’s impossible to explain to these singers simple shit like harmony.  They  don’t understand that if your BVs are going to harmonise then the vocal lines have to be sorted and rehearsed and performed consistently.*    

Basically, it’s a communication slog.  It can get draining.  
    I’ve not even got into prima donna syndrome.  

Sacked drummers:  
    1)  attempted reggae — Jamaica wept.  Drummer knew it too; nice guy but gone.
    2)  Mr passive-aggressive.  Good drummer.  Personality issues.
    3)  Heavy habits.  Good drummer from the hard rock circuit.  Wanted to make a few quid but had no experience with earning in a covers band.  Couldn’t adapt.  And failed to show for a gig.  Cardinal sin; sacking offence.

*I’m not talking about really good singers who, for example, know where your BVs will be and they can do whatever they want.  That’s different and they are no problem to work with.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom