SCOM Intro Riff, pointers and help needed please

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
There must be hundreds of videos of SCOM out there but could you please suggest one that is accurate and shows how it is played.  I have tried and tried and tried, yet come up short.  Suggestions very much appreciated, thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Just get Transcribe!
    Slow everything down, play each note one at at time.
    Thank me later.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    No point trying too hard, it's not like you can ever play it in public.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    https://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-376-SweetChildOMine-GunsNRosesINTRO-GuitarLesson.php
    There are other lessons on his site covering the rest of SCOM too.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Remember to lift your fingers after the note has finished, barring strings wont work properly.

And start with a slow set metronome until you can play said riff accurately slow, you won't be accurate fast.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited March 2017
    https://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-376-SweetChildOMine-GunsNRosesINTRO-GuitarLesson.php
    There are other lessons on his site covering the rest of SCOM too.
    This looks like the way Slash plays it to me, IIRC when I was learning to play it years ago.

Is your issue with knowing exactly how Slash plays it (which I believe is as shown in the link above), or is it about overcoming difficulties in playing the riff?

If it's the latter it's worth experimenting with different approaches. I couldn't make the Slash method work for me and would get in a muddle. So I worked out an different picking pattern I was comfortable with. Also I prefer to use all four fingers of my left hand for the riff.

It's not a competition.
    I agree with Stratman. Try Justin's way but if you find it easier to do it with another combination of fingers, do it that way.
    Focus on any part that's tripping you up and see if you can identify what's causing it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Veganic said:
    No point trying too hard, it's not like you can ever play it in public.
    That is true my friend but I would like to play it even if only for me. Thinking about it, the timing is a problem and the finger movement :). I will consult Justin...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Slow and steady to begin with. Get the fingering right and then start off slowly with a metronome. Build up the speed.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Nail it at a slower tempo then speed up. Off the top of my head I used all four fingers and alternate picking, but if you find an easier method go for it ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I personally favour this picking pattern:

Down up down down up down up down

It's less intuitive than alternate picking, but it has two advantages:

1) You pick is usually moving in the direction of whatever string you have to hit next

2) By going outside the strings when skipping from the high E to the G and back, you avoid snagging the B string with your pick.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited March 2017
    I personally favour this picking pattern:

Down up down down up down up down

It's less intuitive than alternate picking, but it has two advantages:

1) You pick is usually moving in the direction of whatever string you have to hit next

2) By going outside the strings when skipping from the high E to the G and back, you avoid snagging the B string with your pick.
    That's the way I prefer to play it. Below is a link giving the picking and (four finger) left hand finger pattern I find most comfortable. But it's not the way Slash does it.

https://app.box.com/s/fc86sv8vlleyc8jx5lru8rj6c3zpllxx

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Update. The suggestion to check out the videos made by Justin was a good one. I am making fair progress apart from the little bit at the end (which I have yet to work on).  Tuning down a half step, using the neck pickup etc make it sound closer to the original. So thanks again for the suggested website...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No probs.
     There's loads more on there worth checking out too.