Ryan Adams

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8534
As much as hate the term, here goes "school me".

I've never really took time to listen to his stuff, but REALLY enjoying Prisoner. Where's the best place to start with the back catelog for a newby?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Gold. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    More time now, so my picks are:

Heartbreaker - debut solo, singer songwriter style. 
    Gold - minor commercial hit, big tracks like 'New York, New York' more rocky than Heartbreaker but great ballads as well ( La Cinega Just Smiled is sublime)
    Cold Roses - Double album, Americana stuff so a bit country but also rocky. 

There's plenty others that I thought needed a bit more editing as he was releasing a lot of patchy albums....but back on top form for:

Ryan Adams (self titled). Really strong album and it'll make you want a Fender Princeton. 

Also check out Whiskeytown, his pre solo band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ....must mention Demolition, at the time it was a series of tracks that didn't fit on released albums (he recorded loads back then), but despite that it's one of my favourites and works great as an album. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Easy Tiger.
    Ryan Adams.
    Gold.
    Prisoner.
    Ashes & Fire.

So much good across those albums, but the self-titled is my favourite of all.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    All great shouts. He's got a massive and diverse back catalogue, and even self released some home-recorded metal albums through his website. Likes to keep himself busy. 

His reworking of Taylor Swift's entire 1989 album is quite enjoyable too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited March 2017
    mike257 said:

His reworking of Taylor Swift's entire 1989 album is quite enjoyable too!
    The best bit of that album was watching people melt down that he'd MANSPLAINED Taylor Swift, I had a great chuckle. And yeah, really enjoyed the album.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    It's all good and most of it is a bit more upbeat than Prisoner. Big shout out for Love is Hell, Cardinology and Demolition. I've been hammering the long version of Live at Carnegie Hall on Spotify this weekend and it's a great cross section of his output done as solo acoustic material. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    His earlier stuff with The Cardinals is the Princeton fanatics preference ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Jalapeno said:
    Yes, that 335 breaking up the Princeton is glorious.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    Lebarque said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Yes, that 355 breaking up the Princeton is glorious.
    Currently digging Cold Roses.

Killer version of Magnolia Mountain here. Later version of the band and a somewhat rockier version with Neal Casal adding to the monster guitar assault. Anyone offended by overtly Grateful Dead influenced jamming, look away now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I recently rediscovered Love is Hell after a few years of ignoring it. It was my gateway into RA when it released and still brilliant. Beyond that I still really like Rock and Roll even though you're not supposed to. And the first two, though again you're not meant to like the "commercial" Gold, I don't care. it's a great record.

And Cold Roses would be worth it just for Let It Ride, even if the rest was rubbish (which it isn't).
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Anyone heard his cover of Wonderwall? I love that....
  • Heartbreaker is one of my favourite albums of all time. Every single song on that is incredible. I played that album to death when it came out, particularly when drunk, but it's the perfect album no matter how good/bad your mood is, or whether you're drunk or sober. I think it's flawless, a rare album where every song is great.

Gold isn't as good as Heartbreaker, but it's still a magnificent album: stand-out song is Sylvia Plath, for me.

Love is Hell is fantastic as well, the cover of Wonderwall is better than the original by 1000 miles, and stand-out song is I See Monsters.

Certainly check out Whiskeytown. Their 3 studio albums are all cracking: Faithless Street, Strangers Almanac and Pneumonia.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Love is hell was my entry point

Hard to list faves but in order:
    Cold Roses
    Heartbreaker
    Love is hell
    Ryan Adams
    Ashes & Fire

Thought Demolition & Rock & Roll were weak. 
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Gold is one of the few albums I know where every track is brilliant (likewise August and Everything After - Counting Crows and Long Gone After Tomorrow - The Cardigans). 

The guy is a genius! 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Thanks all for the responses. I'm going to start with Gold and Heartbreaker based on the responses.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Enjoy. Fantastic singer/songwriter. Yeh, those two albums are awesome.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    That will be Long Gone Before DAYLIGHT by The Cardigans! 

Forget everything you know about them - this is Country Rock Gold!