Great Rush documentary on Netflix

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
Just found it today, I'm about two thirds through - most interesting. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yeah, there was a heads-up in another thread a couple of weeks ago. It's quite amusing and interesting along with some corking early live footage. It had the knock-on effect of making me spend hours listening to loads of Rush at work the next day! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Amazing clip of Alex Lifeson around the table with his family refusing to do grade 12 at school. I never realised before quite how close Alex and Geddy are, and how different Neil is. They are like two buddies having a laugh, and he's a bit of a miserable git. I need to buy some of my old Rush vinyl on CD, probably Fly by night up to Moving pictures (already have Signals & Power windows on CD, my two favourites). 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yes. They actually reminded me of the two guys out of Anvil as well - except more successful maybe.
    I have to admit that my interest in Rush is mostly limited to the albums from 'Fly By Night' to 'Permanent Waves', which were the ones I listened to at school before my interests diverged... have to check out some of their 'newer' stuff I think.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    axisus said:
    They are like two buddies having a laugh, and he's a bit of a miserable git.
    I've not seen the docu, wonder what he was like before his family died?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Great doc imo. I love the part when they discuss Neil's audition and describe him as being simultaneously like Bonham and Moon. I love their early "Zep Jnr" sound and everything up to the really synthy stuff (I don't mind that either really). The solo from "Fly By Night" is completely wonderful imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Cirrus said:
    axisus said:
    They are like two buddies having a laugh, and he's a bit of a miserable git.
    I've not seen the docu, wonder what he was like before his family died?
    It's just his character. He doesn't like engaging at all with 'strangers', in other words every fan on the planet. He doesn't do meet and greets, although Lifeson and Lee do. The also have time for the fans when they are stopped on the street. In all fairness, he says that it makes him 'uncomfortable' so there must be something psychological going on there.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    I have never listened to much Rush, but I'm enjoying this.

cheers for the heads up.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Rush were far and away my favourite band growing up. Alas, don't have Netflix :(
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

Really enjoyed the doc. Didn't know about Neal's family, God that was tragic.

Exit Stage Left was a stonewall favourite of mine when I started guitar (not that I can play half of it lol)

gusman2x said:

Really enjoyed the doc. Didn't know about Neal's family, God that was tragic.

Exit Stage Left was a stonewall favourite of mine when I started guitar (not that I can play half of it lol)

I can't play half of it either. Pick either half, I can't play it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    Watched this last night, really good documentary. Must admit I have never really been into Rush, but will check more of their stuff out now.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Loved Rush as a kid, older lad in the same street had A farewell to kings and 2112, I'd never heard anything like it.

I thought the solo from Cinderella man was astonishing at the time.

For me, Anthem has always been an absolutely ripping track, but my fave is la villa Strangiata - still an AWESOME track!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Is this the doc with them having a big fancy feed?
  • It was me who mentioned it in another thread, I'm not a Rush fan but I thought the doc was excellent (& encouraged me to listen to more of their stuff). 

If this floated your boat I'd recommend the Tom Petty and Eagles docs which are also on Netflix- similarly in depth and insightful. 
  • Rush were far and away my favourite band growing up. Alas, don't have Netflix :(
    It's on YouTube too (albeit with subtitles). 

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    What's this documentary called? I had a look on Netflix and couldn't find it.

Andy
  • It's called "Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage"

On a related note- Banger films (the production company behind this) have a great pedigree of "Rockumentaries" I've seen these ones and they're uniformly excellent:
    Iron Maiden: Flight 666
    Metal: A headbangers journey
    Metal Evolution 
    Hip Hop Evolution 

http://www.bangerfilms.com/films/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks. :)

Oh man, Metal Evolution is amazing. I've seen it twice and could easily watch it again.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    +1 on Metal Evolution. Some great RJD interview footage just for starters. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"