Tried an OM-28

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
While I was at Andertons today I had a very quick play on an OM-28

I *really* liked it. Grabbed the 000-28EC (like mine) that they had and that confirmed it : I preferred the OM-28

Doh.

Maybe I should have left well alone.... lol 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
    anyone familiar with relative used values?
    Red ones are better. 
  • I have Nick Benjamin #18 for sale that is kind of like an OM (slightly longer body) 14 fret and 25.5 scale length. Has a K&K Pure pickup in and amazing tone. Mahogany and Cedar. Only asking 1k. Check it out on here 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers - I'm pretty set on the whole Spruce/Rosewood thing :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I recently played a used EC Martin and was knocked out by it. I've never liked the Dale Wynton top - or the fact that it's a signature model (and I say that as a massive EC fan). But as a beautifully balanced-sounding guitar it was great.

Surely the only real difference is the scale length? Wouldn't going up a string gauge get you into broadly the same tonal ballpark?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    edited March 2017
    Are you sure the difference wasn't down to set up .........

.......*cough* your EC action is so low there's no break angle on your high E *cough*?

Edit: Just re-read and saw you compared it to a different EC not yours. Ignore.

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited March 2017
    this is why Timmy - look how far down the bracing system is compared to the 1938 picture below (not to mention brace dimensions and profile).
    (000-28EC)
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/woodfool/ECbraces.jpg

see - this is where the started to get it waaaay wrong - an early fifties 000-18.
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/woodfool/Martin1952000-18.jpg

how things were -1938 000-28, serial number 7046x
    http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/kriegerse/Bracing photos/IMGP3937.jpg

all from 28 pages of Martin bracing comparisons -
    http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/847/t/MARTIN-BRACING-LIBRARY.html?page=1#.WMmkOBCZ97N

Obviously you cant tell the dimensions of the bracing from the light bulb silliest but theres info on that as well.

now - heres what a real martin should sound like - oh excuse the twiddle diddly nonsense this guy does,

sorry - went off on a rant when hearing MS - edited

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited March 2017
    The 00028EC is a great little guitar as long as it's set up right, so is theOM28 ( unfortunately it seems that a lot of acoustic guitars suffer from poor set ups in store ) A slightly different response down to the scale length between just different flavours. 

The difference was to my ears very marked. 

can we keep an eye out for used OM-28s please? 

Thank you  =)
    Red ones are better. 
    edited March 2017
    TimmyO said:
    The difference was to my ears very marked. 

can we keep an eye out for used OM-28s please? 

Thank you 
    If you fancy an OM28 you should be able to do pretty well on the deal due the fact that the OM28 is part of the standard series and is priced new at well under the EC. Hope you get the one your looking for. Good luck 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    TimmyO said:
    anyone familiar with relative used values?
    I know you really want one but you'll probably feel bad later if you sell your granny to afford it...
    Badum tish
    Red ones are better. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    You should try an OM28V, 00028V, OM18V and any of the vintage series before committing to the OM28.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The OOO28ECs can vary.  I had one for several years and I tried 3 on the day I bought mine.  One of them was much inferior to the other 2.

I'd hazard a guess that not all OM28s will be equal either.  If you like the one you tried I'd try to get that specific guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was thinking similar things @crunchman - that perhaps it was a really nice example - it really sounded night and day nicer to me. 
    Red ones are better. 
    To the point it is haunting me =) 
    Red ones are better. 
    You should try an OM28V, 00028V, OM18V and any of the vintage series before committing to the OM28.
    Its a crying shame that Martin dropped both the OM28V and OM18V from there range, very good guitars. While they have done high end special edition 00028's from time to time, they have resisted bringing out another 00028 in that range due to it conflicted with the EC models. Ive owned a 00028VS for about 15 years now., it's easily one of the best sounding Martins I've had. It's not going to be everbodys cup of tea due to the 12 fret neck, vintage looks, slot head, and a wider than usual ( 11 13/16 " nut on a big neck which really emphasises the V neck profile. It's a finger style monster but I'm not sure it's the first guitar I would choose as a strummer.

@TimmyO if it's that good it's a hard one to walk away from. As you know acoustic guitars from the same maker / same model can be so variable so as to find another that gets you like that may be a very long journey in the finding.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    TimmyO said:
    Badum tish
    :D

Couldn't resist...
    The best 000 style guitar I've ever played is a neighbour's Sunburst 00028V. Stunning sounding thing - and a real looker.

I've considered breaking in on a number of occasions....
    edited March 2017
    The best 000 style guitar I've ever played is a neighbour's Sunburst 00028V. Stunning sounding thing - and a real looker.

Do it no one will know ..............  Was that a 12 fret @Richardhorner ?
    artiebear said:

Do it, know one will know ..............  Was that a 12 fret @Richardhorner ?
    No - 14 fret. Bloody lovely....