Band Advice drugs.......

What's Hot

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gassage said:
    Well done @professorben this is fantastic news, I am really pleased for you. It's clear from the discussions we've had here just what a big step this  was for you, you are deserving of our respect dude.
    Totally agree!

The new Professor of Green ....
    nah, can't stand Made in Chelsea. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    @EricTheWeary the part where you say alcohol is more destructive because its more commonly used, that's not really true :) 
    I think the chain is gassage saying alcohol is the most destructive drug then me saying it is because it's the commonest. I think it's certainly the commonest ( barring say caffeine or paracetamol) and it features the most in things like crime statistics or hospital admissions. My anecdotal evidence would be involvement in dozens and dozens of domestic violence cases where alcohol was a factor whereas cannabis or class A drug use would have been quite rare.
     I wasn't really trying to argue it on an individual basis but as an overall effect on society alcohol has a much bigger impact than any illegal drug. Your own comments seem consistent with that as I understood them.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    I think its an easy decision.  We all play because we enjoy playing, and should at least be comfortable with the folk we're playing with.  Anything else means its less than enjoyable and potentially stressful.  

If their smoking weed makes you feel uncomfortable, and I can only assume that your mere posting of this issue means it does, then you should leave and let them get on with it.  If folk want to smoke weed in their private time then that's up to them.  But you're right to be concerned that it could detrimentally affect you by association on two counts - first, from the legal perspective and second from potentially anti-social/erratic behaviour from your bandmates even if they don't smoke during rehearsal or gigs.  

I appreciate the 'alcohol is a drug too' argument, but (sensibly, esp if driving) having a beer or two with your band mates is socially acceptable and not illegal (even if one of you doesn't drink alcohol and has orange juice instead). But weed - you're potentially asking for problems.  And of course whilst this doesn't automatically follow, we all know that there is a risk it might develop into stronger drugs.  

Like the film 'War games' the only way to win and stay safe (mentally & physically) is not to play!  

Image result for del boy you know it makes sense
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sounds like a good compromise has been reached. Surprised how most people here have misunderstood @professorben 's dilemma though.

Getting hold of weed ultimately, if not directly, involves interacting with criminals many of whom will have no qualms about using violence. Given that he has direct experience of that violence makes his concerns entirely understandable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481

Holy shit. A discussion on a forum has actually made a tangible, useful difference in Real Life.

Nice one, mate. Sounds like it was a productive conversation I too miss the social aspect of being in a band...nowadays, the only social interaction I get on a daily basis is with the dogs, the wife or the people at the shop next door.
    Don't act so surprised, I recently found out that the earth is flat, and I'm using that knowledge to plan a proper around - the - world sailing route. Setting off tomorrow, lucky poos please!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    @EricTheWeary dont worry dood, I didn't see it as arguing, I may have read if differently, alls good, :) 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    mellowsun said:
    Sounds like a good compromise has been reached. Surprised how most people here have misunderstood @professorben 's dilemma though.

Getting hold of weed ultimately, if not directly, involves interacting with criminals many of whom will have no qualms about using violence. Given that he has direct experience of that violence makes his concerns entirely understandable.

The question of cannabis really is a grey area. There's even a coffeshop (in Amsterdam) with that name. It's perfectly possible to consume cannabis personally without any contact with professional criminals - as long as one lives in those areas where cannabis has effectively been decriminalised (to no national furore) like County Durham. 

I do understand that the pursuit of cannabis can lead the unsuspecting punter into contact with professional criminals. But there's no reason that the actual effects of cannabis can be construed as criminal. Far from it, in fact. 
    Lawn mower just died whilst cutting the 'grass' 
    Karma is a bitch. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    Lawn mower just died whilst cutting the 'grass' 
    Karma is a bitch. 
    Beautifully done there. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Id just like to say this has been a very good, thoughtful, thought provoking and very mature discussion.. and I mean that sincerely with absolutely no condesention intended in any way to anyone. 

And for what its worth I agree with the various folk here that weed should be decriminalised as this is long overdue. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    So......... 
    they kicked me out of the band. 
    6reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    So......... 
    Really? Jesus.

On the other hand...it was non-negotiable for you, and clearly very non-negotiable for them. On that basis, you'd have been even more pissed off when you've put another 6-12 months of work into it with your best ideas, and then either been asked to leave or finally blown your gasket.
    <space for hire>
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    So......... 
    Wow, really? Good for them. At least they can be in a band now where the music can be fun.
    4reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DesVegas said:
    So......... 
    Wow, really? Good for them. At least they can be in a band now where the music can be fun.
    Dick move.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited March 2017
    digitalscream said:
    DesVegas said:
    So......... 
    Dick move.

Sure was, well you have quoted it now so can't be deleted.

he asked us for advice, which we all gave, which was to leave and he got fired.

DesVegas said:
    So......... 
    Yeah it's true, music IS more fun when connected to criminal activities and drink driving. 

I freely admit to using the 'killjoy' mode on several of my solos. 

I was holding them back, who knows in 12 months they may have graduated to crack and ramraiding without me holding them back.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm only upset cos I opened up about my experience, explained my reasons, they agreed and we were cool, for like 2 days.

I guess they had a change of heart. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'm only upset cos I opened up about my experience, explained my reasons, they agreed and we were cool, for like 2 days.

I guess they had a change of heart. 
    Bit of an odd move by them, but they clearly discussed it amongst themselves.

Probably better in the long run?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DesVegas said:
    digitalscream said:
    DesVegas said:
    So......... 
    Dick move.

Sure was, well you have quoted it now so can't be deleted.

he asked us for advice, which we all gave, which was to leave and he got fired. 
    A post being quoted hasn't stopped us before, especially when there's a clear rule #1 violation. Up to the other admins.

Everyone else seems to be able to manage grown-up sympathy, you could always try it instead of smug self-satisfaction.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    So......... 
    On the basis that most of us don't like rejection - I'm sorry to hear this - but at least you now know for certain where their priorities lie.

I think for a band to work - or at least last - there needs to be a 'gang' mentality. Clearly what binds the others together isn't for you - so this is probably the best outcome. 

There are enough stresses in life, without trying to maintain an uneasy peace. I'm sure you will be able to find a more suitable outlet for your talent.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom