Pricing advice for Martin 0-16 NY, pls

What's Hot
I'm intending to sell my 1988 Martin 0-16 NY parlour guitar. I've owned it since 1991. There are no marks worth mentioning. In places, the satin finish has become polished through use, but that's all. It plays well and sounds balanced (for a small body parlour guitar). The Martin case will go with it, also almost unmarked. 

Trouble is, I've no idea what it's worth.

Can anyone help? Ta! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Reverb uk seem to be pricing these between £1400.00 and £1900.00. I suppose the advantage of these is that they are pretty unusual so you may get a higher price, but as always it depends on the demand.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I've been looking for one of these since about 1991 - had a line on one, but some other bugger bought it. If I remember rightly it was £850.

:)

To be fair I hesitated for a bit too long because I'd only bought my D12-35 about a year earlier for the same price and I wasn't sure I really wanted to put that much money into another Martin.

Sadly I can't afford to pay what it's actually worth now, or I would be genuinely interested. If I had to make a best guess I would agree with BigLicks67, I would expect £1500-£1750 roughly if it was in a shop. Interestingly I just checked an inflation calculator and that's about the same in real terms as the £850 was back then, but that still doesn't mean I can afford it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Well, following a conversation with she who must be listened to, and a short session with the thing, I've decided to keep it. I'm also selling a Chapman Stick I've never become very proficient at playing and that will probably meet my current fiscal need (assuming it sells). 

FS: 10 string 1991 Chapman Stick, £1200 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    ICBM said:
    I've been looking for one of these since about 1991 - had a line on one, but some other bugger bought it. If I remember rightly it was £850.

:)

To be fair I hesitated for a bit too long because I'd only bought my D12-35 about a year earlier for the same price and I wasn't sure I really wanted to put that much money into another Martin.

Sadly I can't afford to pay what it's actually worth now, or I would be genuinely interested. If I had to make a best guess I would agree with BigLicks67, I would expect £1500-£1750 roughly if it was in a shop. Interestingly I just checked an inflation calculator and that's about the same in real terms as the £850 was back then, but that still doesn't mean I can afford it!
    I bought this from Seamus at Hanks when they were in their original shop in Tottenham Ct Rd. £650, IIRC. Plays beautifully with silk'n'steel strings. I don't play it enough but whenever I do, I don't know why not...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Not the same one then I don't think! I'm pretty sure it was in Peter Cooks in Hanwell.

Although come to think of it the one I saw might have been £650… it's such a long time ago I can't remember for sure. I think it may have been '90 not '91 as well, it was very soon after I bought my 12-string which was 1989. (I still have that too.) Unless whoever bought it then traded it to Hanks.

Anyway… your other half is right - keep it, it's a lovely guitar.

On the other hand if you ever do change your mind, PM me ;). Who knows, I may have money then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein