Crate Power Block or Quilter?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've seen Crate Powerblocks in pro rig run downs so some people like them and use them (just to add a bit of balance). They were sold off very cheaply in the end so I think there are people out there trying to sell them for more than they probably paid. I can't remember the exact figures but really they should be very cheap now. 

The Quilter stuff seems to get a lot of love on US forums. It'd be interesting to know why no major distributor/ dealer has brought them in to the UK. Still, forums are self selecting - I was thinking about the old Top Gear surveys when the Skoda Felicia used to come out as the best car you could buy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    John_A said:

Also keep in mind that lots of people have experienced the 44 Magnum going pop when run hard.
    I keep hearing this, but who are these 'lots of people'?  Mine was ran hard 3 times a week for a year and never flickered, buy from Thomann and get a 3 year warranty for peace of mind.
    Mine was one. I'd used it at rehearsals for a few months and it went pop, bang then burning smell. It was under warranty so I got it sorted but never trusted it after that.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I've seen Crate Powerblocks in pro rig run downs so some people like them and use them (just to add a bit of balance). They were sold off very cheaply in the end so I think there are people out there trying to sell them for more than they probably paid. I can't remember the exact figures but really they should be very cheap now. 

The Quilter stuff seems to get a lot of love on US forums. It'd be interesting to know why no major distributor/ dealer has brought them in to the UK. Still, forums are self selecting - I was thinking about the old Top Gear surveys when the Skoda Felicia used to come out as the best car you could buy. 
    The parent company of Quilter are a PA company the UK distribution rights of which are held by Shure. 
    I spoke to them at the guitar show a couple of years ago and they were pondering distributing them, but I suppose that's why no one else has been able to do it.

The parent company of Quilter are a PA company the UK distribution rights of which are held by Shure. 
    I spoke to them at the guitar show a couple of years ago and they were pondering distributing them, but I suppose that's why no one else has been able to do it.
    Ahh,I remember you saying that before now. As Shure must have pretty wide UK distribution then WMC are either a toe in the water or getting them not via the official UK distributor. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Just as a left-field suggestion...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_dv_little_gh_250_greg_howe.htm

150W @ 8 ohm seems pretty decent, and at its size and weight it should do the job nicely. Absolutely no idea how it sounds, of course ;)
    <space for hire>
    Seymour Duncan have brought out the Power Stage 170 which is a compact power amp for guitarists. Seems to be £550 which is a bit eye watering. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    If you want a value backup solution - a 2nd hand Marshall 100 s/s head - clean channel is an excellent pedal host - I use a TRex Moller for grit. They're also bonkers loud.  I have aCrate Power Block at the back of the cupboard - didn't like the sound at all.

I got an older MGHDFX 100 for £100 or so - which the repair techs hate - but the newer ones are less prone to conk out allegedly - I'm sure @ICBM has a view ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

Just as a left-field suggestion...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_dv_little_gh_250_greg_howe.htm

150W @ 8 ohm seems pretty decent, and at its size and weight it should do the job nicely. Absolutely no idea how it sounds, of course ;)
    I approve! Looks the business!
  • I have both a Crate Powerblock and a Marshall Lead 3210 SS 100w Head..

The Marshall is immensley loud...

I currently use the Crate Powerblock as an amp platform for my HD500x via the fx return... into a 2x12..  It's extremely handy to have as a spare too, in case my main amp has issues. Never had any cause to question the Crate's reliability.
    I intend to compare it with an FRFR speaker soon though..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    The Crate power block has a really bad reputation for sounding terrible and being very unreliable.
    This, absolutely. The second worst-sounding amp I've ever heard, and I've seen several dead (and unrepairable) ones.

If you're wondering what the worst-sounding amp is, it's the Orange Micro Terror :).

Jalapeno said:

I got an older MGHDFX 100 for £100 or so - which the repair techs hate - but the newer ones are less prone to conk out allegedly - I'm sure @ICBM has a view ;)
    I haven't seen a single dead one of the new series, ever. The MG-100DFX is a failure waiting to happen though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah my first 'proper' amp was the combo version of the MG100DFX...used to think it delivered the goods back then but I got a Laney valve head afterwards and it put things into perspective. Funnily enough, about a week after I got that Laney, the Marshall combo blew up in a practice. Think my mate used it as a foot rest for a while until chucking the bugger.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited March 2017
    I've got a Quilter Pro Block.

It might replace my valve amps for gigging.  At the moment I'm trying to get it and a Fractal FX8 to do all my effect/amp type thing.  Its a very very good amp.

I bought mine from these guys:  cheaper than Wembley and very helpful/quick delivery.  

http://theguitarbar.be/en/

I used  crate powerblock a couple of times at blues jams a few years ago.  They sound awful imo.

other possibility for a backup is a ZT lunchbox amp.   They're good, small, and loud as feck - and will do in a gig situation.

I  also had  a Yamaha THR100 head for a while. Thought it sounded awesome on the clean/crunch channels. But it wasn't quite loud enough through a speaker for me -  although you can go direct to PA.

edited March 2017
    thomasw88 said:

It might replace my valve amps for gigging.  At the moment I'm trying to get it and a Fractal FX8 to do all my effect/amp type thing.  Its a very very good amp.

I bought mine from these guys:  cheaper than Wembley and very helpful/quick delivery.  

I used  crate powerblock a couple of times at blues jams a few years ago.  They sound awful imo.

other possibility for a backup is a ZT lunchbox amp.   They're good, small, and loud as feck - and will do in a gig situation.

I  also had  a Yamaha THR100 head for a while. Thought it sounded awesome on the clean/crunch channels. But it wasn't quite loud enough through a speaker for me -  although you can go direct to PA.

I tried ordering from them before trying Wembley and when I asked them if they included a UK AC cord, they just recommended I buy the one from their store (an extra tenner or so). Then I had to register. Then their payment page kept screwing up on me and I (perhaps rather hastily) went to Wembley instead because I was sick of the hassle.

I think I'll give them another go.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Dopesick said:hi
    thomasw88 said:

I tried ordering from them before trying Wembley and when I asked them if they included a UK AC cord, they just recommended I buy the one from their store (an extra tenner or so). Then I had to register. Then their payment page kept screwing up on me and I (perhaps rather hastily) went to Wembley instead because I was sick of the hassle.

I think I'll give them another go.
    It's just a kettle lead dude. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    John_A said:

Also keep in mind that lots of people have experienced the 44 Magnum going pop when run hard.
    I keep hearing this, but who are these 'lots of people'?  Mine was ran hard 3 times a week for a year and never flickered, buy from Thomann and get a 3 year warranty for peace of mind.
    I'm one of them. We do exist.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    You may also want to check out the Microamp and Greg Howe-Signature amps by DV Mark! Sound really good, have a tiny footprint and aren't expensive at all.
    Update

So the Quilter Tone Block 201 arrived yesterday and I *definitely* made the right choice.

It's a smashing bit of kit, and takes pedals effortlessly. Means I won't have to lug my Matamp over to every band rehearsal from now on. Thoroughly recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Do you think Brian at Wampler is not just a little embarrassed by this Crate endorsement??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    dude...Quilter all the way.

i think you and I have similar tones in mind and uses...the crate is ok, but isnt great with pedals and headroom isnt really there for live or rehearsals.

the quilter, although i havent tried it...i've heard from 2 people, both from the Doom world (one plays guitar in Khemmis and the other is a producer), have said the quilter is like the modern day Sunn or Acoustic amp...really loud and clean and takes pedals amazingly well.

I'm planning on buying one soon as well...

edit: should have read your last post...you now make it 3 people i've heard about on Quilter!
    samzadgan said:
    dude...Quilter all the way.

i think you and I have similar tones in mind and uses...the crate is ok, but isnt great with pedals and headroom isnt really there for live or rehearsals.

the quilter, although i havent tried it...i've heard from 2 people, both from the Doom world (one plays guitar in Khemmis and the other is a producer), have said the quilter is like the modern day Sunn or Acoustic amp...really loud and clean and takes pedals amazingly well.

I'm planning on buying one soon as well...

edit: should have read your last post...you now make it 3 people i've heard about on Quilter!
    Oh mate...I used it last night at rehearsal, you wouldn't believe how well this thing takes pedals.

Granted I had to max the volume and go about half way on the gain - meaning the clean channel wasn't as clean as I wanted - but the tone from my pedals was completely unaffected and it definitely brought the thunder. Obviously not as much low end as my GT1 but was still crushing. Plus it's so portable and easy to dial in! Mucho recommended.