From Kemper back to valves...and back (in a weekend)

What's Hot

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    PVO_Dave said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Dead link but not actually in stock. 

Bax Shop price is £1,707, powered with remote. Not sure I want to risk ordering and it changes price or whatever. 
    Weird, when I navigate to the powerhead and remote, it says available for next day?
    Try adding to basket. Wonder why Kemper don't sell a bundle?
    Now that's annoying! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited March 2017
    Any conventional wisdom on recommended speakers for a normal guitar cab?  I'll start that way before going FRFR (and I have an unloaded 1 x 12 cab).

@jimification - any recommendations on FRFR?  And would the powered Kemper power a normal guitar cab?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited March 2017
    Any further info on connecting to a guitar cab would be great but I also wonder if the non-powered one would work off-the-bat with an Active FRFR speaker?  Pluses and minuses?

My band, Red For Dissent
    Any further info on connecting to a guitar cab would be great but I also wonder if the non-powered one would work off-the-bat with an Active FRFR speaker?  Pluses and minuses?
    Works just fine, I use my in-powered profiler with a Yamaha DXR10. The biggest complaint from some users is that it doesn't feel like an amp when you do it. Doesn't bother me personally, I'll take a tone I'm happy with over worrying about how amp like it is :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stottfoldstottfold Frets: 15
    edited March 2017
    Really pleased with my Kemper, I bought the unpowered version with remote in January. I use it with a single DXR10 at home (as had already as main PA) and it sounds great. Initially I was going through the effects return on my Two Rock (available to buy on here!) but I'm more than happy with the sound from the Yamaha at home.

I played my first gig with the Kemper a couple of weeks ago - given the DXR10's are my main PA, this wasn't an option for monitoring so I took the Two Rock to use as I'd initially tried at home. During the soundcheck, the other guitarist's Blues Junior had a valve fail - this threw up an unplanned experiment for the gig!

I gave the Two Rock to the other guitarist and hooked up the Kemper DI through the PA, with the monitor out feeding... wait for it.. a Fender Rumble bass amp! I went into the effects return and EQ'd the monitor out slightly (great feature) and it sounded awesome! The band and audience both commented on the sound and I was really impressed with the feel too.

This has given me the confidence to sell the Two Rock (was never going to be able to keep both unfortunately) and whilst the original plan was to use something like a Fender HRD for monitoring, I'm now seriously considering another DXR10 and other options - maybe even have another go with IEMs.

I'd be keen to try the powered Friedman cab too (although not keen on size) and would also like to hear a Fryette Power Station into a regular cab. Loving all this the new technology next job is to wean myself off my remaining pedals - still using KOT and EP Booster!

• @PVO_Dave I'm intrigued to understand for myself what actually means :)  As long as it sounds good, I'm not sure what can be wrong...but then I've never been one to have a 4 x 12 moving air.

Am I right in saying you have the powered Kemper?  So you could use a passive speaker?  I'd love something really compact.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Interesting @ stottfold I've a lot to learn. 

Given some of the gigs I do, i feel I'll need something to act as a backline. Small crappy PAs don't seem a match made in heaven, so would like something to control outward projection. 

I've already listed my effects unit!

My band, Red For Dissent
    @PVO_Dave I'm intrigued to understand for myself what actually means :)  As long as it sounds good, I'm not sure what can be wrong...but then I've never been one to have a 4 x 12 moving air.

Am I right in saying you have the powered Kemper?  So you could use a passive speaker?  I'd love something really compact.

I think it's the moving air thing, there are a couple of settings you can use to make it feel a bit more like that but never tried it. 

I have the unpowered white profiler head with remote and a DXR10. The DXR10 isn't large (compared to a decent sized amp anyway) it has a serious amount of power too. The only thing you need to think of, is where to put the Kemper (I used a little amp stand). 
  • @PVO_Dave Is there a passive equivalent?

My band, Red For Dissent
    @PVO_Dave Is there a passive equivalent?
    Lots of passive FRFR options, never looked into it. Might be worth a search on the Kemper and Axe FX forums on the topic, as you can bet it's been asked a lot :)
  • Thanks, @PVO_Dave Just having a gander. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Bax Shop

No idea how reliable they are, mind.
    I've used them with no problems.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Bax Shop

No idea how reliable they are, mind.
    I've used them with no problems.
    Me too, nothing high value tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Would something like this work with the powered Kemper? Cheap but maybe not cheerful?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studiomaster-Wedge-Powered-Monitor-Package/dp/B00S46IQ9E

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Would something like this work with the powered Kemper? Cheap but maybe not cheerful?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studiomaster-Wedge-Powered-Monitor-Package/dp/B00S46IQ9E

They would 'work' but why would you take £1500 worth or high end gear and shove it through some cheap nasty speakers?  Personally, I'd go up-powered and use a DXR-10 or equivalent if I wanted to use FRFR
  • I was thinking for chuck about/use at home purposes and get a good one for live. 

How would the DXR-10 work as a backline cab? I.e. used as a 'stack' behind me? Any suggested alternatives/other models? Thanks, @John_A ;

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    John_A said:
     Personally, I'd go up-powered and use a DXR-10 or equivalent if I wanted to use FRFR
    Seconded. I haven't actually tried the DXR, but am very comfortable with the approach. In particular I think it's important to have separate modeller and amplifier/speaker because. The technologies are moving at different rates, and you may well want to upgrade Them at different times..
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Slightly broken up there, @Roland Are you saying use and FR and cab?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I'd go un-powered modeller, and use it with a powered speaker. It doesn't have to be FRFR, but does need to be decent quality sound and EQ range. If you're using a modeller into a PA then there's not much benefit of lugging a guitar cabinet around with it.

I also can't see much benefit in using a powered Kemper.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'm not planning on using it with a PA by default but the option will be useful. Dale at SX Pro insists it will sound great with a guitar cab - and he certainly knows more about Kemper than any other retailer I've spoken to. 

My band, Red For Dissent