From Kemper back to valves...and back (in a weekend)

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    I'm not planning on using it with a PA by default but the option will be useful. Dale at SX Pro insists it will sound great with a guitar cab - and he certainly knows more about Kemper than any other retailer I've spoken to. 
    I went for the powered Kemper, and use it with my Zilla Cab :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not planning on using it with a PA by default but the option will be useful. Dale at SX Pro insists it will sound great with a guitar cab - and he certainly knows more about Kemper than any other retailer I've spoken to. 
    I went for the powered Kemper, and use it with my Zilla Cab :)
    My plan :) Better resolder in the Alnico Cream that I removed yesterday...Sigh. 

Recommendations on profiles welcome or even simple tips on how to get started. Must do or must nots especially welcome!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody tried the Laney IRT-X speaker?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    PVO_Dave said:
    Dead link but not actually in stock. 

Bax Shop price is £1,707, powered with remote. Not sure I want to risk ordering and it changes price or whatever. 
    Had the same dilemma, ended up ordering from Andertons, they still sell it at the old price, £1999 I think? The initial waiting time was 6-7 weeks, later dropped to 3 weeks and finally had it delivered yesterday. 
    Bax availability changed randomly after adding item to basket, also seemed way to cheap. 
    Also not very happy with sx pro where I first ordered it from. Four days from ordering they didn't even send me order confirmation, number or expected delivery date so I've lost confidence and cancelled.

• Amended from the original post.  Kemper PowerHead on order with remote.

Now I want:

An FRFR cab - preferably one that the PowerHead can sit on behind me;

An expression pedal (or two).

Recommendations welcome.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Certainly consider one of the expression pedals being a Source Audio Reflex, on account of it can do LFOs out of its expression ports. Which opens up all sorts of interesting stuff.

Also have two different expression pedals so it's easier to tell them apart in a hurry/panic/dark stage.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Certainly consider one of the expression pedals being a Source Audio Reflex, on account of it can do LFOs out of its expression ports. Which opens up all sorts of interesting stuff.

Also have two different expression pedals so it's easier to tell them apart in a hurry/panic/dark stage.
    That's well out of my budget, for now.  Also pretty simple in my need for wah/volume (at the moment).

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Glad I went with a company with a good return policy. I hated it. Ugh. Headphones or cab, I felt like I was using a crappy digital processor. I'm not saying it's not capable but it surely isn't for me. Headphones or cab, I just couldn't buy into it. 

Simplicity needed. To the point I might go single channel. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Wow. What speaker did you use mate ?
  • Alnico Cream, @wazmeister. ;

It did full on lead sounds well but found little satisfying below that. Felt like I was using an ME-80 or something. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Wazmeister I will give that a try! I'd love for it to redeem it. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 160
    edited March 2017
    Alnico Cream, @wazmeister. ;;;;;;

It did full on lead sounds well but found little satisfying below that. Felt like I was using an ME-80 or something. 

Of course they're not for everyone and there's tons of nice gear out there but in case it helps, here's my experience with Kempers:

1) Tried in a couple of guitar shops with headphones / monitors - meh
    2) Tried in another shop through guitar cab - sounds even worse.
    3) OK...maybe this thing just takes some fettling...so I bought one to try at home...nope, doesn't sound any better than my Eleven rack - sent it back and got a refund.
    4) 6 months later I thought people says it's identical, there MUST be more to this thing...bought another one and spent some serious time finding the right profiles for me and setting it up with a guitar cab - Holy crap this is amazing!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited March 2017
    Like all the digital modelling stuff I guess, it takes some time to dial in and get used to what the various dials and functions contribute.

But like it or not, we are staring at the future here... and more and more people are being (albeit reluctantly  like myself) to the freedom that digital and modelling brings...
    This is very wise!
    4) 6 months later I thought people says it's identical, there MUST be more to this thing...bought another one and spent some serious time finding the right profiles for me and setting it up with a guitar cab - Holy crap this is amazing!!!
    I don't own a Kemper, but this is so true for all modelling gear. It's a definite mind shift and takes a while to find 'your' tone.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @jimification Did you settle on a cab/FRFR? Interesting experience. I know my knee has jerked faster than a Chris Impelliteri solo and it's clear the right person can make this work. But the need for instant gratification is strong with this one...And I don't know if I've the time or patience to do it. I just want to play

More tips welcome. I'm going to pull it back out the box this morning to try the list of @Wazmeister tips. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Please tell me you at least tried some top quality profiles? Get the free M Britt pack from his website, and the M Britt rigs pack that Kemper released yesterday.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Anybody tried the Laney IRT-X speaker?
    yeah I've got one. Small/portable, sounds decent and does the job. And not too expensive either.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I should head over for a jam. I can't believe you find it so bad.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited March 2017
    Deijavoo said:
    I should head over for a jam. I can't believe you find it so bad.
    Home all day, @Deijavoo - you're welcome!

Jack_ said:
    Please tell me you at least tried some top quality profiles? Get the free M Britt pack from his website, and the M Britt rigs pack that Kemper released yesterday.
    I did. I'll try again :) I'd love to try a whole pack of Fender type cleans/early break-ups but don't want to spend on something I'm currently unlikely to use.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • If you're running through an actual cab you ideally need some decent merged profiles. These are specifically taken from the DI of the source amp and designed to be used with regular cabs. Any others and the results vary enormously as the Kemper guesses how to split the amp and cab.

I've had most success with Tone Hammer profiles for heavy stuff, not sure what you're into.

Regarding the headphones or FRFR tone, remember it's the sound of an amp in isolation mic'd up then fed back to you. It's pretty accurate to the source amp but if you don't have much experience with listening to mic'd up amps it can take a while for people to adjust.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom