What's your favourite guitar solo today?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    "Hang Em High" EVH. It sounds like the whole song is one take.... yikes. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    At the moment Matt Schofield on his track Red Dragon.
    Beautiful tone and just superb as he ramps up the tension.
    Kicks off gently at 2:39

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Not my favourite solo. But of the records I've been listening to this morning this track has the standout solo. The band is Amorphis, the track Sacrifice.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    St. Vincent on Rattlesnake at the moment. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Not strictly a solo but the guitar/bass/drums/vocals on Caroline by Status Quo. Gives me a lift every time I hear it. Brilliant arrangement.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5847
    Yeah, they're totally inspiring @stratman3142 ;;

Pushed to my limits, I can just about manage Kid Charlemagne, but I'd never dare try it live.
    I've played it live a few times. One one occasion it resulted in (probably) my single worst gigging moment. The band had a few deps and the backing went wrong during the solo. I think it was where there's a bar that drops a couple of beats (i.e. 2/4) during the solo.

I'd learned the solo note for note and completely blanked. That's no excuse because I should have been able to improvise my way out of it.  I learned a huge lesson that day. Never learn a solo note for note without knowing how to improvise if anything goes wrong. As I realised, when I had time to reflect on it, it's fairly easy to blag your way through it with a Bluesy C scale (i.e. combined major and minor pentatonic) over the changes.

Blimey, that's a nightmare @stratman3142 ;

From what I've heard you'd be good to improvise your way out of anything, but like you say, there's always that one time. My technique is way short of yours and I expect you can fulfil roles in bands that are a bit more challenging. I do tend to do a good job of learning solos note for note, but ones I'm comfortable with, which are easier to blag my way out of in a live situation than Steely Dan stuff :)

I much prefer Rhythm Guitar playing, if I had the choice, It would be Funk and Soul Stuff all day long.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Listening to an 80s playlist on Spotify and the Bryan Ferry track Windswept came on .. it has a sublime solo from David Gilmore .. fast forward to 2:30 ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    John Sykes in Still of the Night.

Shame it's not a bit louder in the mix.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Bucket said:
    Was listening to this in the car tonight - amazing Steve Morse-esque bit of shred from Ian Thornley at 2:50.

That is very Steve Morse and nice playing, but it's a very dated approach to a solo in a song IMO, it's almost bolted on and isn't very sympathetic to the song.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I like this one as well ... Steven Wilson track Drive home with Guthrie Govan at around 5:00 ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 979
    edited March 2017
    This came on my iPod today - haven't heard it for a while. The solo is short but sweet

and this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaPizqtODtE

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    mike_l said:
    Not an all-time favourite, just the one which has currently grabbed your ear.

Mine is Chris Holmes' solo from WASP's Sleeping in the fire.
    Actually Randy played the first melodic part.  I'm getting into La Guns again.  I get what the Tracii is doing now and it's not the way I played it at 13, it's far simpler and loose. But you can't beat earlier George Lynch for expression, honestly, before he disappeared up his own arse for a while.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Today I'll go for Robben Ford's "You're gonna need a friend" from the Truth album. Beautiful posh blues playing over the changes with added Cropperisms. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I listened to Strangers in The Night yesterday so currently in Schenker worship mode, for me it's either Lights Out or Rock Bottom. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2017
    dindude said:
    That is very Steve Morse and nice playing, but it's a very dated approach to a solo in a song IMO, it's almost bolted on and isn't very sympathetic to the song.
    @dindude That's fair enough, I agree to an extent but it's a ripping solo - see what you think of this one, from 3:10 to the end:

I love the way it builds. And I think it sits in the track well, even takes it to new heights.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."