Soldering iron which shaped tip?

What's Hot
Recently switched from an Antex iron to a Maplin soldering station one that has the variable dial ( great for upping the heat for the back of pots etc) but it came with a cone shaped bit which doesn't seem to conduct heat as well as the ellipse shaped Antex one.  What do you you guys use and why? Cheers C
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I use a 3mm chisel shape bit as it holds plenty of heat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Chisel tip user here too. I use the largest size bit I can comfortably get away with, which is usually a 3.2mm bit. I find it perfect for PCB, cables and guitar work. It gets the heat in quickly, which means less chance of causing heat damage.
    Generally speaking, I only ever found those pointy-tipped bits useful back when I was doing lots of SMD work.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Several different ones for different purposes. It's worth having at least a couple of different sizes even if you only have one iron.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I always burn my fingers changing bits
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Long conical 0.6mm for PCB work and most other stuff to be honest even though I have a selection of larger ones. 
    There's no point or advantage to covering guitar pots with solder, all it does is shorten the life of the pot. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Might be a daft question, but i too have a Maplin variable heat iron with a conical tip. I am finding it a bugger to use - even tinning the tip doesnt go all the way to the end. Im using it to build a few pedals along with vol/tone/pickup wiring.
    So, rather than buying a new set of tips, is it ok to file the end of the conical tip a bit to give it a wedge shape? Or will that most likely damage the tip?
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @Kalimna, you'll go through the plating if you file the tip (that's if it hasn't already disintegrated given your description of not tinning to the end).  Then the flux will just eat away the core of the bit, leaving it hollow and conducting heat poorly. Possibly slightly counter-intuitively, you need good heat and good transfer to avoid prolonged solder times and potential damage to components.

My two penneth anyway   :-B

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Had a feeling that was the case. I was given the iron second hand, and dont know how much it has already been used.
    Time to go to Maplins methinks.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Thanks for the input guys. I've ordered a set of 3 tips from Maplin that should be perfect for the Maplin 50 watt solder station. £7.50 doesn't seem unreasonable 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I always burn my fingers changing bits
    It's usually better to do it when they're cold ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10376
    tFB Trader
    @Kalimna, you'll go through the plating if you file the tip (that's if it hasn't already disintegrated given your description of not tinning to the end).  Then the flux will just eat away the core of the bit, leaving it hollow and conducting heat poorly. Possibly slightly counter-intuitively, you need good heat and good transfer to avoid prolonged solder times and potential damage to components.

My two penneth anyway   :-B
    What he says :-)
    I always use the biggest soldering Iron I can get away with for each job ... lots of heat for a very short time is best. Clean the tip before and after soldering on a damp sponge or a 'solder cleaning pad. I use needle point tips for PCB work and chisel point for guitar wiring ... all on a Maplin 60w variable heat digital solder station. For big jobs like soldering and unsoldering pickup covers I use a 150 or 180 watt iron!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message