Midi Cables

What's Hot
Hi

I need to buy a couple of midi cables, but I've never bought any before. Where is a good,reasonably priced place to get a couple of 1m cables from.
I got a new Novation Circuit groove box for my Birthday and I want to try hooking it up to my Venom to see if I can breathe new life into that, before undergoing the process of converting the venom into a desktop synth instead of a 49-key one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 449
    CPC, or any online supplier.  MIDI cables are really not anything special, so wherever you can get them quick at a good price should be fine, especially for short runs like a metre.

One tip - if you've got a lot of cables, colour coded ends can be really helpful when you are trying to identify what goes from where to where!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Are you using phantom power from the Midi lead? If so, make sure you get the right one.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I've no idea about phantom power, and didn't realise Midi had that. The Circuit has it's own power source, as does the Venom. It would just be for midi note/cc transmit and clock.
    The Circuit has 2 nova synths and a step sequencer so I'm hoping to use that with the Venom, or the Venoms Arp with the Circuit.
  • aaron76aaron76 Frets: 15
    Any will do, honestly for that length don't spend a lot... I've got one from dv247 that's lasted me years, I use it as a spare/tester and it was like £1.99
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    I use the Hosa right angled midi cables on my pedal board - never had any issues whatsoever 
  • Thanks for the updates, I managed to grab a couple from Amazon this morning for £2 each, and as I got vouchers for my birthday it's free anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Yeah, MIDI is not all that fussy over short distances. So, cable choice boils down to things like "what shape plug" (ie. right-angled, straight, etc) and "colour coded ends". You don't need to spend much on them at all.

R.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I've no idea about phantom power, and didn't realise Midi had that. 
    Strictly speaking, MIDI does not. The format employs a five-pin DIN plug and socket but only uses three of the connections. A true MIDI cable only needs two conductors plus ground/screen.

DIN format stereo audio cables use the same five-pin plug and socket but require four conductors plus ground/screen in order to carry dual channel signals in two directions.

Theoretically, the two redundant pins of a MIDI socket could be put to some other use. You would require an audio cable in order to achieve this.
    Be seeing you.